Horizontal Section

Stéphane

Question

Hello, 

I am exploring horizontal section. 

1) Why the components don't join properly (it looks like two separate walls) ? In plan they are joined properly together. 

2) Why can I see the text "- 3.00" which should be hidden by the slab above on which you can see the text "126 m²" ? 

1217088965_Capturedcran2021-01-2115_21_32.thumb.png.8f7cc688b3aa0bd81d73d8b9c91b4358.png

9 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

For the wall joins, try selecting "Merge Structural Object with Same Fill" in the Advanced Properties dialog for the viewport.

image.png

Regarding the text:  Check the z-height of the text objects in the design layer.  Keep in mind that the 3D height determines what objects show above others in horizontal sections (not stacking order).  If the text is higher than the slab, it will display above it.

Thank you Matt for your answer. 

1) Merge Structural Objects with Same Fill do the trick BUT some lines vanish. I could of course enable Add Profil Line, but it is not as nice since I need various line thickness. Plus, It won't resolve the lines-that-vanish-somewhere-in-the-middle-of-the-wall issue (see bottom right corner next to the door). 

1483365546_Capturedcran2021-01-2208_14_21.thumb.png.82e60f5358fe3dea9ca073ad423042dd.png

2) The text "- 3.00" is actually a data tag. Does that change something to the problem ? Its Z-height is correct and shouldn't be visible. Also, why does it not shows its frame, like in the picture ? If I add the same label in the annotation space, then the frame shows up correctly. 

1165291514_Capturedcran2021-01-2208_15_27.thumb.png.ae443fb37e3036c85bc41da387a83aa8.png

Edited by Stéphane

Is there a reason you haven't updated to 2021 SP2?

That version should fix the vanishing line issues.

As for the text:  Annotations like text and Data Tags can be problematic when displayed in a sheet layer viewport not set to Top/Plan view.  We typically recommend placing these objects in the viewport annotation space (but I do understand why you might want them directly in the design layer).  While we are working to improve this, the best I can say is to try to keep annotations in the viewport annotation space for these types of viewports.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

At each update, I am always a bit afraid that I will get even more issues 🙂. But I will give it a shot. 

7 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

We typically recommend placing these objects in the viewport annotation space

Little by little, I start to be a firm believer of this strategy... Most of the text I have them in the annotation space anyway because they are only related to one layout. I still believe that some very general texts (like levels or room names), typically texts you can use for more than one layout, are better in the design space because this way you don't need to copy them in different layouts (and update them multiple times). I could however imagine changing my habits... 

Once more, thank you Matt for your dedication. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Stéphane said:

22 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

At each update, I am always a bit afraid that I will get even more issues 🙂. But I will give it a shot. 

Generally, SP1 versions contain mostly fixes related to localization issues.  Later SP versions have more significant fixes throughout the application.  Please do give it a shot.

22 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

We typically recommend placing these objects in the viewport annotation space

Little by little, I start to be a firm believer of this strategy... Most of the text I have them in the annotation space anyway because they are only related to one layout. I still believe that some very general texts (like levels or room names), typically texts you can use for more than one layout, are better in the design space because this way you don't need to copy them in different layouts (and update them multiple times). I could however imagine changing my habits... 

I definitely get it and understand the current limitations of putting everything in annotation groups.  Objects like Data Tags, Structural Grids, and Smart Markers are helping with some of the issues, but more still needs to be done.

Once more, thank you Matt for your dedication. 

Glad to help!

have a good weekend!