Error reading user preferences

Boh

Does anyone know why I am getting this when I startup vw2021 and how I can stop it happening?

image.thumb.png.44ad6f22436753fcb76012848ef68256.png

I am just setting up vw2021 and one of the first things I do of course is set up my preferences. Unfortunately on start up vw decides it doesn't like my preferences and to start up I have to reset them to factory defaults and then redo them (there are quite a few...)

Any help / suggestions appreciated!

Thanks

Check the permissions on your user folder to make sure VW is allowed to access the file.

If you start VW, change a few preferences, quit VW, Restart VW, does it give the same error message? Remember that preferences are only saved when VW successfully quits. If it crashes instead of gracefully quitting the preferences will not be saves and may be corrupted.

Thanks Pat. It seems to be successfully restarting after editing preferences atm. I've had the error message twice now but have also had a few crashes trying to update a Library file which was originally created in a previous version - maybe that is what caused the prob corruting the prefs.

I'll keep an eye on how it restarts after crashing.

Cheers

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Remember that preferences are only saved when VW successfully quits. If it crashes instead of gracefully quitting the preferences will not be saves and may be corrupted.

So note to self - after changing vw preferences restart vw to avoid this happening!

• 1 month later...

So I'm occasionally still getting this:

image.thumb.png.d1fb1512952cbe459f8185776c935ae1.png

It doesn't seem to be related to a crash. Happened this morning after shutting down vw last night.

I am using a custom workspace on located in a workgroup folder on the server, though not sure if this should effect workstation prefs which are stored locally.

Any other ideas?

Since the workspace is in the Workgroup folder, does that mean that others are using the same workspace? If so I think that could be part of the problem. The workspace is not a static file. It stores the palette locations and other tool specific information. So you may be having multiple people effectively overwriting each other's workspace changes and possibly causing workspace corruption.

I don't know about the Preferences, but if you are using a workgroup folder and have possibly gotten preferences stored there also the same type of conflicts could be occurring.