Stairs with multiple widths in a run.

@hollister design Studio the 'Simple Stair' tool might be a better bet for stairs like these. It is quicker/easier to use + you can use 'subtract solids' on the object afterwards to create the configuration you're after:

367871127_Screenshot2021-01-19at06_12_32.thumb.png.a3c5f57953dba31298efd7e7bd8016b3.png

It then becomes a solid subtraction of course but you can still go in + edit the stair if necessary.

Simple stair is found in 'Building Shell' tools in Workspace Editor.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Tamsin Slatter said:

Remember also that you can use a parametric tool to do most of the modelling for you, then, in a 3D view, ungroup it. This will give you the 3D geometry which you can then manipulate further using the 3D modelling tools. 

Not very easily though, because it gives you a bunch of meshes and 3d polygons rather than solid objects.

12 hours ago, jeff prince said:

No, the stair tool is pretty limited in what it can accomplish.

Have to admit I was pretty happy with the badass spiral stair I output the other day!

...but yes, I'm definitely learning the constraints of the tool set.

7 hours ago, Tamsin Slatter said:

... use a parametric tool to do most of the modelling for you, then, in a 3D view, ungroup it...

Will try this next time.

I don't like the 'overlap' I have currently and am sure it's going to mess with my section drawings.

21 hours ago, hollister design Studio said:

Hmm... is there a way to combine meshes and/or 3D polygons into generic solids?

I have noticed when architects send me sketchup models they are basically an un-editable mess of meshes...

There are ways but my experience of doing it to stairs objects is that it's immensely time consuming because you have to do a lot of ungrouping and then repetitive stuff like you have to do each step independently (as far as I recall).

I hardly ever use VW stairs now, for these reasons. Unless you are doing a really bog standard stair, it's quicker to model the whole thing directly from scratch.

Why the stair tool outputs something made up of polygons instead of solids I really don't know. I though VW was supposed to be a solids modelling programme. Why design it like that?

17 hours ago, Tom W. said:

The Simple Stair when ungrouped is an Extrude

Thanks - did not know that! For whatever reason that tool is not in my workspace but I've just added it.

Having just had a look at it I can see that yes it does produce extrudes, which is loads more useful than the other stair tool. Looks like it can't do winders... but better than nothing.

The Custom Stair (legacy) tool is useful to have in workspace as well. It doesn't generate extrudes (or rather I think it produces a combination of meshes + extrudes depending on the configuration you choose) but it works by dividing your stair into separately editable sections so gives you more control over certain types of stairs than standard stair tool. Winders are easier with custom stair I find

Credit to Jon Pickup for pointing out these other tools (and 'Circular Stair'!)