Layout - More Location Options

Hey friends,

I'm working on a show where we have a number of devices in Hoffman style enclosures. Is there way where instead of placing gear inside a rack, I could define another location? (In this case an enclosure.

Also along these lines, in addition to room/rack/enclosure I'd like to define a building where specific rooms are located. How would I go about this? 

I imagine I could just use custom parameters to define some of these locations, but it would be cool to have other versions layout room tool for buildings or enclosures.

Thoughts?

In the instance of devices inside an enclosure, I think I'm less concerned with where it is inside. Just that fact that it IS inside. But it is an interesting thought regarding designing an enclosure layout. It would be cool to design their layout similar to how we do  CTP panels with a front view.

As far as the Location hierarchy goes,  Buildings would be at the top level... Inside Buildings are Rooms.....and Inside rooms are Racks or Enclosures.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Daniel

me again! So, these enclosures are a bit like a rack with a different look, and without RU heights... so in a way they could be a variation on the rack objects where equipment is placed by the designer to-scale. That way an elevation view of the enclosure gives an installer guidance on where to mount stuff. I'm beginning to like the idea!!!

Conrad

• 2 weeks later...

we too utilize something similar... we call ém control cabinets or I/O cabinets.

we have a "hack" that allows us to make these types of cabinets... then also has a marionette-based summary of the kit inside it:

image.thumb.png.57f98151e494a2f33e75af690f2e76f4.pngimage.thumb.png.c94ebf15c4bee3e7f39886a59cf0d8c9.png 

i'll need to dig up some better examples of use cases with actual kit in the box, but its basically just a huge rack 19in2d with a self-drawn cabinet drawn to match the specs on a given project.  equipment items are then dropped in here and made with custom symbols.. . then, the print viewport just hides the equipment rack and its printed as is..

@Conrad Preen - i might look at this cabinet table script in the file i shared with you earlier today - i have a feeling it is more problematic than the rack table script we have already looked at together..

the idea of a native cabinet would be dope.. we often have to arrange stuff vertically, or sideways, or flipped on two axes, etc.. nothing standard like a Rack Unit.  the Din Rail is usually custom tailored to the project if not possible to standardize.

cool stuff!  thank you guys

image.png

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Thanks guys! This kind of input helps a lot.

Let me read back to you what I understand to check that I've got it. What we are after is a generalized cabinet that you can define the look of. And that Equipment Items will detect and update their locations accordingly. Essentially behaving a bit like a Room but with nice graphics.

How am I doing?

Conrad