Bruce Kieffer

Symbols should have dimensions.

Question

Symbols of extrusions need to have dimensions. I can't tell their size without entering the 3D edit mode. Not efficient. Kind of defeats the value of a symbol for an object that is only repeated a few times. I just don't understand why the OIP can't show the dimensions. The object has dimensions.

• Like 2

3 answers to this question

I agree with you that the information in the OIP is often crytpic. While one could put in a custom record for each symbol, it might be easier to somehow put the original object info on the info panel of the symbol's OIP.

There's no reason why the user should have to work so hard to find the info that Vectorworks has. Here's the info of the symbol object, and the info the OIP shows when viewing it as a symbol. Clearly the dimensions are known to Vectorworks.

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 8.57.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 8.58.05 AM.png

• Like 1

Good point (this is unnecessary clicking behavior, which reminds me of Sketch-up ) !

For the more complex (shape) symbols I could do with the outer/ total dimensions.

Shown in the attached image as the orange selection box.

982694394_2021-01-2109_16_48-VectorworksSymbol.thumb.png.cdd543369bf23480ba65ef23b39f525f.png

• Like 3