Aluminum Window Styles

We use many different types of windows and doors and try to design AND draw accurately so that our "design intent" is clear and simply stated.  Is there a way to create window "styles" that create windows that are more reflective of modern aluminum or vinyl windows and glazing systems?  VW's window styles always look like wood windows.  That's fine for old buildings that use wood windows or for residential applications where wood-based windows (Pella, Marvin, etc) are the norm in our area.  But when it comes to schools and other commercial buildings created from extruded aluminum or vinyl are at least as commonly used.   Even the Anderson windows that come in the standard VW Library really don't display the window components in plan view accurately (window sash size and location relative to the window frame.

1.  Is there a white paper or tutorial that explains the various different style parameters and how they interact with each other?

2.  I see that creating symbols is often recommended for customizing components.  Can such symbols be linked to window styles so that they substitute for the off-the-shelf component profiles when a window is inserted?

Thank you

You can draw up your window/s yourself using 3D modelling tools + save them as hybrid symbols then insert them in walls using the Window tool by selecting the 'Use Symbol Geometry' option in the settings. This means the windows are still 'Window' objects + you get to use some of the parametric settings associated with the window tool ('Plan Wall Offset', 'Interior/Exterior Wall Detail', ID Tag) but it won't be a 'style' in the sense that you have full control over all the parameters

Andy Broomell has an excellent tutorial on this: https://www.andybroomell.com/custom-doors-windows-vwx

So if you use many different types of windows this will mean a lot of 3D modelling + symbols but if you try + use the Window tool to model your windows I think you'll struggle

• Like 2

Tom W - Thanks for the suggestions.  I have been trying to model the windows using the standard window tool because there are so many "flavors" of windows and so many manufacturers.  I was hoping I'd find a few key variables that would give me enough control that I could get close enough . As you note, it's a struggle mostly because it's so time consuming.  I'll look at Andy Broomell's tutorial and learn something new.  Thanks again!   Tom O

Most of the projects I work on use aluminum storefront windows.

What I have been doing is cutting the opening in my wall with the window or door tool and then setting its style to opening.

Then I use the curtain wall tool to create my windows,  window & door combinations.  The curtain wall tool lets you place frame bars wherever you want and add openers and doors.   Then I turn the curtain wall into a group and slide it into my opening.   If you don't group it you won't be able to place it into the wall opening.
I haven't found a solution for vinyl flanged windows yet.

• Like 3