Dimensions tool Arrows and Text Size Help

MGilc

Hi All, 

How on earth do I change the settings of the dimension tool to show arrows???? It's driving me insane.  The Dim Standard in the object info does nothing to change that, and I cannot for the life of me change the text size either.  Where am I going wrong here??  Some setting?  Brutal.

Thanks 

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 12.21.51.png

Guest Wes Gardner

@MGilc...just FYI, you should be dimensioning (at least for final output) in the Annotation space of a viewport on a sheet layer.  Yes, you +can+ dimension on design layers...I use this to "proof out" my design before doing final dimensioning as outlined above.

Wes

How about for annotations such as for planning drawings to say "new door" or "Remove existing sanitary ware". I just keep that on a different layer and in model space.  Similarly for demolition, so far I remove the wall in 3d and draw 2d hatch and dashed line though I expect to not do this when I grasp the proper BIM method. 

On 1/15/2021 at 7:20 AM, Wes Gardner said:

@MGilc...just FYI, you should be dimensioning (at least for final output) in the Annotation space of a viewport on a sheet layer.  Yes, you +can+ dimension on design layers...I use this to "proof out" my design before doing final dimensioning as outlined above.

Wes

@Wes Gardneryes, exactly, and a thing I do to make the task less onerous is to cut / paste the dims from design layer to annotation space. And, even if off on the paste, easy enough tome to relevant positions.

• Like 1

Not sure this is exactly what you are talking about, but in the OIP of the viewport, click advanced properties.  The top of that box allows you to scale symbols, text, line types, line weights, etc.  We usually do grading plans at 100 or 200 with detail areas from 30-40-50 scale.  And, we sometimes label contours or have them in 2D.  So, if we are going from 100 to 30, we type in 0.33 or 0.25 for text size (experiment a bit) and it puts the text size where we want it in the 30 scale viewport.  I think you can customize a standard viewport you use often that way.

I played with it for dimension arrows, and they don't seem to scale, but I wonder if you could do a custom dim with tiny, tiny arrows that would just look good at larger scales?

• Like 1