Issue with importing a dwg file

HI,  I've looked on line at various utube videos and forum posts and I still can't solve my issue with importing a dwg file.  So am tearing my hair out here!

Firstly, the survey file comes with an error message about it being a Civil 3D file, but I've read I can ignore this and continue.   I do so but the file imports so small and I can't scale it.

I look at forums and the options on the import Dwg files aren't there on my options drop down box.   I am working in VW 2020 and it gives options to Use detexted DXF/DWG files or choosing your specified units.   There is no scale option box.    Which ever units I choose it imports tiny and then I can't scale it up.

Please can someone kindly help me out?

Edited by klinzey
Edit post title

@katherine@katherineroper.c seems like strange behavior.

When I import a survey from DWG, I start with a blank file to prevent anything imported from causing problems with my design file.  Always a good idea to quarantine data in this way to avoid potential disaster.  During import, I see what units Vectorworks senses in the DWG and use the following settings:

781925253_ScreenShot2021-01-15at3_00_05PM.thumb.png.da0761c7a36b4faed3066592fbcb64a1.png

Sometimes, a survey will appear tiny as you state because the surveyor has included points far from the project.  Typical stuff since surveyors tie their work to benchmarks.  You can likely find those distant points and delete them, then zoom to fit object to see what you are working with.  Perhaps there is a property line or other dimensioned feature in the design layer that you can check.  Hopefully you find the survey has been drawn 1:1 and your measurements ring true for the units it was imported in.  If not, you will want to scale it, but later as I will describe.  Best not to scale a survey in it's native import state IMHO.  Purge and save this vwx file, perhaps naming it survey.  Open up your design file and use a reference viewport to refer to the newly created vwx survey file.  If the survey was drawn 1:1 originally, there should be no scale issue, vectorworks resolves differences between files for you.  If the surveyor sent you a scaled drawing, no worries, you can scale this referenced viewport without affecting the source survey file you create.

There are many ways to accomplish the same, but I find this method to work well and keep my design file safe from contamination.  Hope it helps.

Edited by jeff prince
  • Like 3
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Katharine

The most important parameter to set when importing a DWG, is the Unit of Measure. This is the unit of measure set in the original DWG file, not your Vectorworks file. If you import with the wrong unit of measure, then the imported objects will be the wrong size. 

Land surveys in the UK are usually in Meters, so if you explicitly state meters on the import dialogue, all should be well. If not, a quick chat with the survey to establish the unit of measure in his/her file should clear things up.

AS @jeff prince mentioned....N E V E R   E V E R  I N  Y O U R  L I F E  import a dwg file directly into the file you are working on...it will mess up more than can be imagined.

In addition, it is important to find one dimension in the imported dwg file so you can make sure the scale of the imported file is correct.

IF the surveyor, or whatever the Brits call them, has made some effort, there is almost always a dimension and bearings of the property lines....in most cases.

So....draw a line along that property line ( or any other area where you may find a dimension) and see that it matches what the dimension is suppose to be.

If it is not correct, just do a little math and divide the length of the line you drew in VW by the dimension that is shown on the imported survey and the result becomes the factor to use to scale the entire file so that the dimensions match.  Hopefully this makes sense.

4 hours ago, Kevin K said:

So....draw a line along that property line ( or any other area where you may find a dimension) and see that it matches what the dimension is suppose to be.

just make sure you are in top/plan view when doing so otherwise you could snap to 3d points that will throw the measurement off 🙂

• 2 weeks later...