ROOF FLASHINGS FOR RIDGE, HIPS AND VALLEYS

Kevin K

Question

Here is something that may never see the light of day, but would be more than welcomed, pertaining to the Roof Tool.

Roofs, in general, depending on the roof style, in the real world always need to include elements for waterproofing at the Ridge, Hips and Valleys.

Where Valleys are concerned, it is noted as 'Flashing".....at least where I came from.

When 3d Modeling a structure, to maintaining a sense of realism, these flashings and waterproofing elements really should be included in a 3d Model.

Including these elements in a 3d Model can be achieved, but it can be a bit of a challenge and somewhat time consuming.

Wouldn't it be great if these elements were an option relating to the Roof Tool...??

Note the attached image.

This example features a standing seam metal roof, but the same principles would apply to a roof with asphalt comp shingles, etc.

1836818700_ROOFFLASHINGS.thumb.JPG.e1e4ad7ed6f977fdc36c259c23efbd1d.JPG

• Like 1

2 answers to this question

This would be useful.

Modelling roof flashings for me is one of the “is it worth my time” items.

When I decide to do it I use hybrid symbols of each flashing consisting of an extrusion for the 3D portion and a polygon for the 2d.

It really is time consuming but does make a difference for 3D views and roof plans.

Id be interested in any vectorworkaround suggestions on how I might model these flashings more efficiently. Typically I need to model parapet, ridge and apron (where a roof butts into a wall) flashings.

Thanks

@Boh I'll say it would be useful!!  

This particular project had a LOT of Roofs.  Both Hips and Gables, so it did take a bit more time than a simpler, typical roof.

There are a few techniques to procure this, but in this case the key was to use 'set working plane' at the intersection of a hip or valley and simply draw a rectangle on that surface, and increase the length of the rectangle a bit, knowing that it would be trimmed after the fact. This was key so that it would perfectly lay itself on the roof surface. Because all these roofs had a pitch of 8:12,  I just made a lot of copies and drug them around to the appropriate intersections of the other roofs and ran them long, so I didn't have to create flashings for each roof.  That sped things up quite a bit.

You can convert all the objects to 3d polys which would allow you to eventually give the flashings a thickness, if you wish.

Then,  mirroring that object to the adjacent roof surface.

At this point you can use the split tool to slice away so all the intersections are clean. Pretty easy, really.

Then, of course you need to select them all and raise them a smidge above the regular roofs.

I did experiment with doing an extrude along path, but that was problematic with these roofs for several reasons.

I am pretty sure there may be other methodologies, but this one worked pretty well for this project.

I still need to create the gutters and a few other items, so don't look too closely.   :-)

11032207_FRONTRIGHTISOVIEWNOTREES.thumb.JPG.9fa3d642caed5df2b5101081e830d57c.JPG

• Like 1