Stephanie Desmeules

Stephanie Desmeules

Question

Hello!

I'm trying to create a viewport the way I usually do... I select the rectangle tool, "view", "create viewport"... 

But this time, I get this message:

"You have selected only one object or you have selected an already cropped viewport. Please select an uncropped viewport and a crop object to create a detail viewport."

I tried with other projects/documents... the same message appears.

It started when I accidentally selected create detail viewport... Now I can't seem to create a regular viewport anymore, the way I did it for years!... Any idea as to how to undo this?

Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 2.27.06 PM.png

16 answers to this question

I'm currently using the landmark workspace. Frankly, I wouldn't know how to start a custom workspace...

Yes that is exactly what's happening... I select Creat Viewport but am actually getting the Create Detail Viewport command.

I've been working on that same document for over a year now...

How do I "try a standard workspace or a different standard workspace"... I mean concretely...!

37 minutes ago, Stephanie Desmeules said:

I wouldn't know how to start a custom workspace...

I made a duplicate of the given workspace I used before in "manage workspaces",

gave it a proper name, sorted and rearranged some menus and icons, ....

Added some commands I often need to my right click option menu,

for both, when something selected vs when nothing selected,

threw things out I never need, .... and there was my custom workspace.

Over the years I migrated that workspace, changed and refined more and more tools and palettes.

so now it would be very tedious to re build it from scratch.

Simplest way to start:

Go to Tools menu: Workspaces.  At the bottom is a list of all the installed workspaces. The one with the check mark next to it is the one you are currently using. Tell us the name of that workspace. 

Click on one of the other workspaces (I recommend Fundamental if that is not what you are currently using). Try and create a viewport using the new workspace. If it works, then you have a corrupted workspace. Depending on which workspace it is, we can suggest next steps.

• Like 1

Landmark is the workspace that I'm using... I do have fundamental but it is not checked. there are no other workspaces.

So here is what I did: checked Fundamental (instead of landmark), and tried to create a viewport, the way i usually do. But it didn't work, I got the same answer: "You have selected only one object or you have selected an already cropped viewport. Please select an uncropped viewport and a crop object to create a detail viewport."

Are you on a Mac or a PC? I don't know step by step how to do this on Windows, but on a Mac:

Quit VW.

Go to System Preferences: Users and Groups. Create a new user account. 

Log into the new account and launch VW. See if you can create a viewport. If you can it is likely that your User Folder is corrupted. If you can't then the VW application is corrupted and you should delete and reinstall VW. 

If it is User Folder ask again and we can try and talk you though resetting or recreating.

The message doesn't make sense:

"You have selected only one object or you have selected an already cropped viewport. Please select an uncropped viewport and a crop object to create a detail viewport."

Surely it should read "you have selected more than one object..."?!

In Tools>Workspaces>Workspaces if your current workspace's location is in the user folder then it has been customised. It can be customised even just for saving palette positions. You should click 'Revert' in order to reload the installed workspace from your application folder. This is assuming it's a workspace issue. I'd hassle your local technical support people.

Cheers,

Peter

Glad you have it sorted. The easiest way to learn anything about Vectorworks is to go to the Help. In this case go Help>What's this>tools>Workspaces>Workspaces and it'll open the Help to that topic.

Generally speaking the only reason you need to customise a workspace is if you have external plug ins or want to customise some keyboard shortcuts. The downside is that if you move between offices you'll have to re-learn. It's also best practice to rebuild for each version.

Cheers,

Peter

The Workspace Editor is located (in the US version) in the Tools menu under Workspaces. I you just choose to Edit Current Workspace and you are using one of the default workspaces the edited copy will be stored in you user folder.

While I stick to the stock workspaces because it makes helping people and troubleshooting easier, we just did yesterdays Los Angleses users group meeting on customizing VW.

I see a few more reasons for a custom workspace than Peter mentioned.  The two biggest are to add things that you use on a regular basis to the Right Click menus, or to create a custom palette to use with the "Smart Options Display" (heads up menus in VW2021).

We had a relatively large argument about if you should and how much you should modify from the standard workspaces, and I was one of the people most advocating keeping close to stock. But in the long run, set VW up so that it makes sense to you. If you have another program that uses L as the shortcut for line and you find yourself trying to use that in VW, then make the change. You can always switch back to stock if you decide you don't like it. Or change it again until you get something that is comfortable for you.

In the Workspace Editor you have different panes you can select at the top for Menus, Tools, and Keys. For Menu's and Tools, all of the options are in the left hand pane. In the right hand pane you have the Menus and Palettes. Select the tool you want in the left pane and drag that to the place you want it in the right pane. If you "indent" when dragging the menu/tool, it will be placed as a "sub" option.

To add keyboard shortcuts, select the tool/menu in the right hand pane and then pick the modifier keys you want to use at the bottom and then type the character you want to use. If that combination is already in use you will get a warning.

I hope this is enough to get you started.

• Like 1