line types applied to solids / 3D objects

Hi everyone, did any of you manage to assign and display a dashed line on a 3D solid (except for hidden edges)?

The line type selection seems to be ignored by 3D solids (working in VW 2021) – in the attached screenshot, both objects have the same attributes; the solid is simply an extrusion of a copy of the rectangle:

Screenshot 2021-01-13 at 12.40.44.png

Edited by MrPilot

Hi MrPilot,

at first I could not reproduce your picture in wireframe, but I guess you used hidden line or dashed hidden line rendering. In Hidden Line the dashed lines  mix up as they are either on the backside of the objects, or they use the Line Type of the extrude.

As far as I know, there is no "regular" way at all to show 3D objects with a Line Style. Extrudes seem to be an exception.

But you are right, it is not logical that extrudes can have Line Styles in hidden line rendering, while solid additions or subtractions can't. I'm not shure, but I think this problem exists since VW 2020.

Hi halfcoupler,

thanks for your reply and checking this on your side!

Yes, indeed this worked for me in a shaded / hidden / dashed hidden view... in both examples, the bottom case is the intended result, whereas the top is the incorrectly displayed object after a subtraction has been carried out.

As far as I know, there is no "regular" way at all to show 3D objects with a Line Style. Extrudes seem to be an exception.

Hm, this seems strange. Logically, if the extrude is displayed in a [correct] manner, then so should be other solids, especially that line type selection is available for these objects as well. I thence consider this to be a bug.

I'm not shure, but I think this problem exists since VW 2020.

Meaning solids would also display line types correctly in earlier versions?

On 1/14/2021 at 12:04 PM, MrPilot said:

Meaning solids would also display line types correctly in earlier versions?

Just checked it on my old laptop with a VW 2018 version:

It seems to be the other way around: In VW 2018 neither extrudes nor other solids could have a linetype. It seems that the possibility for extrudes to have linetypes appeared later, in one of the last 3 Versions. So indeed, for this time it's not a bug, it's a feature.  🙃