Style Replacement needs to replicate that of Symbols.

shorter

Question

If I create a window 'style' (hate that word, but hey...) and then start using it, but then forget to set the default class for that window type, there is no way to change the default class (that I can detect) other than converting the styled window to 'unstyled' setting the default class for the unstyled window and recreating the style.

Annoyingly when I do, and I name the recreated style as per the original, it does not 'replace' the original.  It gives no message and just creates one called 'Window Style'.

It ought to, for consistency's sake, ask if you want to replace the existing window style.

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

If you right-click on the Window style in the Resource Manager you will see a command called Plugin Object Style options. You can add a default style there and any instance of the style in the drawing should take on the new class. 

Seems to work here OK.

Edited by markdd

Does this discussion relate only to VW2021? I am in 2020 + thought windows + doors went by default into 'None' + the only way to put them in your own container class was by doing it in the O.I.P. 

I don't get the top 'Class' setting in the 'Plug-In Object Style Options' dialog, just the four ones below.

Thanks

Yes it only affects 2021.  Although this default class issue is a bit of a side-issue to the main thrust of my post.

It was requested that Door and Window Styles have a 'default' class like Walls, Slabs, and Symbols, and this appears to be the mechanism by which one sets it.

It is slightly inconsistent with how walls and slabs work and I would prefer a similar setting within the style itself, not via the 'Plug-in Options' unless Walls and Slabs are brought up to date with Doors and Windows of course.

The fact still remain though that styles do not behave entirely like symbols and cannot be replaced when you create a new one and name it as an existing one.  The only way you can do this is to take the new window style out of the model, modify it, name it and then copy or reference it back in, and then replace the definition.  Then it behaves like a symbol.

• Like 1