Resource Manager User Library

ASdA

Hello,

I am super new at Vectorworks and I was wondering if I can create my own resource library by adding folders by category and fill them up as I go. For example, I am working on a 1050's design. I would like to upload 3D VW images from that period and put them in a folder called ie. "1950's Furniture." The idea is to always keep that folder in my library for future use. Further more, I have not been able to figure out how to add resources and create folders under "user library." Please advice.

Thank you!

you can add folders to any type of resource, I might be somewhat wrong there, but in general, that's true.

So, if your furniture has been saved as symbols, you can add a symbol folder for the 1059s furniture. In turn as you bring those symbols into a file, you can also add a textures folder for that furniture.

I would create a file for that furniture, add folders as needed, then save the folder in my library which is a directory on my hard drive. I would then add that file as a favorite in the RM

There are five concepts that you might want to think about: User Folders, Workgroup Folders, Default Content, Styles, and Favorites.

Default Content are object and styles that are selectable based on the tool chosen. These must be placed in exactly the right folder to be able to be found. Examples would be Line Types, Text Styles and Markers. These go into Libraries/Defaults/"Name of specific object type here" Just store any VW file in the correct folder and any any object of the correct type can be used as part of the defaults the next time VW is restarted.

Styles are similar to Default Content, but are stored in Libraries/Object Styles/"Name of specific object type here". This would be object such as cabinets, doors, windows, tables & chairs. Again, store any VW file containing objects of the correct type in the folder and they will show up as default styles.

Default Content and Styles are actually read from three locations, the Application Folder (for items shipped with VW), the User Folder (for things you want to keep to yourself) and the Workgroup/Project folder (for things you need to share with other users). Files that are named the same are prioritized as Users > Workgroup > Application, so just by putting an empty file in your user folder you can eliminate items that you don't want to see from the Applications folder.

Finally, Favorites are just VW files that you can save anywhere that is convenient for you but can access easily from the Resource Manager. A Favorite is just an ordinary VW file and it can contain any type of VW object in however many folder you want.

HTH.

• Like 2