defining plants

JanVan

in the edit plant catalog box, i clicked new and when i click plant data and bring up the plant in the data base and click ok, I dont get the correct id nor do I get the plant size. under help in creating plant definitions, i think it says that the data should transfer to the plant catalogue. What am I doing wrong?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

JanVan, I have not had time to look into this (believe it or not, Tech support is only a sideline for me!) but I think the answer is "no". If you think about it, it's not really a good idea to use only numbers for plant in our system. (If you have a cluster of plants, the tag might read: '7-12'. Not very clear.) Why not prefix them with "P-"?

Thanks, I went ahead and put a letter first and then a number. Its interesting and sad that none of the plants I'm putting into the catalogue are transferring their information from the Plant Reference Database. i'm wondering if i'm leaving out a step. I'm sure you're very busy and one of the few that really knows the system it seems from my phone conversations except for Kathy or Kate?

Yes I am using the plant data button. I've tried placing a plant in my dwg to see if it works, then selected the symbol for the plant and looked in object info and did indeed find the other info that was in the data base. So this is good.

When I close this drawing, or sometimes the program crashes it for me, when I reopen the dwg, and try to continue with creating the plant catalogue, it says there are no 2d plant symbols. After I exit the edit plant catalogue and go back in again, they appear, but some of the plants i'd created are not there. It is when I recreated the entry in the catalogue and used the same id it crashed the program.

in this dwg, it seems that the system folder was missing so I imported one from another dwg which meant that I had to rename the folders. I now have 2 system folders, but only one of them shows up in the top level which is empty and the other one that does not show up as a system folder contains the 2dsymbols and 3d and plant catalogue.

I'm only trying to create a mediterranean plant catalogue template to use in other drawings. This is really obscure and sooooo time consuming, it would have been simpler to just buy one from someone. HELP. Sorry if I'm a dunce.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

in this dwg, it seems that the system folder was missing so I imported one from another dwg which meant that I had to rename the folders.

I don't understand this. If the folder was missing, there should have been no name conflict. Did you get an error message telling you to rename?