Helix-Spiral creation enhancements

Benson Shaw

Question

The Helix-Spiral command in Model>3d Power Pack could use some updating.

As shown in the image, the command default context uses an angular geometry inconsistent with usual angular/rotational geometric standards.  I think these inconsistencies should be amended to meet standard geometric practices and calculations.

• The command applies 0° to the Y axis. Standard places 0° on X axis.
  • The command uses clockwise as the positive angular rotation direction. Standard is counter clockwise.
  • The command default creates a left hand coil.  My opinion: Command should default to create a right hand coil.
  • Note: Reversing direction of the axis object alters start location, but not the coil direction.

I understand that a revision of these, eg in a future vwx version, might reconfigure objects made by previous versions of the command.  But, perhaps an out of date bounding box or other warning could be implemented.

Enhancements? Initial thoughts.

1. Add a "Sweep" field to the OIP as a direct way to extend the sweep of an existing Helix, without changing the pitch.
  2. Add option to unlock the Turn/Pitch relationship, so that both fields are active at same time.
  3. Add OIP fields to show/amend a single turn helix of any selected helix. 
  4. Creation enhancement: Creation object to be used only the axis location and direction indicator rather than current Direction and Pitch. Use parameter fields to apply pitch (length along the direction) and sweep.
  5. More?

-B

image.thumb.png.3863415d9627fe32a7697770d92aa66d.png

Edited by Benson Shaw
just thinking out loud
  • Like 2

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet