importing plant database files

Earthworker

we have an existing plant database (in filemaker pro 6.0) that we use for our nursery signs. the files do not all match up to the vw plant database utility files. for example there is no price option for the vw database, i understand that i could put our prices in comments 1 box, but is there an easier/better way to do this? also can i customize the database to make it easier to import our system or do i have to go thru all of our inventory and input each plant as a NEW file? thanx in advance.

-earthworker

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The Plant Reference Database is designed to be about plant characteristics by species that get associated with a specific plant (and with 2D and 3D graphics and price and size info) in the plant definition. Sounds lile the records in your database match up better with the Plant Catalog than with the Plant Reference Database. I think your proposed method (putting price in the comments field for reference then copying it to the price field in the plant definition) is the best way to do it. Once you've set up your plant catalog, you can import the entire System folder from one project to another so you don't have to recreate your catalog.