Why insert a symbol in a wall?

bc

Guest Wes Gardner

@bc, when you do, the wall knows...it reduces its area accordingly, you can then report this in a worksheet as in a material take off.  Many other reasons...

Wes

Anything you want you build-into the wall, like a recessed shelving unit or whatever, you would enable 'insert in wall' + include a wall hole component in the symbol.

Also you can have a symbol that contains a wall hole component + nothing else + use it to 'sculpt' the surface of a wall to create realistic 3D cladding or whatever. 

So in both cases you're using the 'insert in wall' option to enable the 'auto cutout' function @zoomer mentions i.e. the wall hole component

Guest Wes Gardner

Here's a pretty cool method for creating reveals and other wall-modifying elements using symbols and the Wall Hole command.  In this image, I left the small "alignment icons" turned on (they're small blocks at the bottom of the vertical reveals) but you can easily just turn their class off.. the elegance is that this method will "go around the corner" both inside and outside corners....

Wes

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 12.19.28 PM.png

Wes,

I guess I was asking what are the "many other reasons". 

I've generally been in the Peter Cipes camp.  I occasionally may use a wall projection or recess which are not great in 2D when involving simultaneous wall joins.

Couldn't find a reference to the Wall Hole command. Not sure what your method is for the above.

Also not sure I'd go to the trouble to get a material take off using this MO.

TomW,  I like what you're saying here.  I can see the purpose for things such as that but don't do it enough with symbols.  Usually would create a wall recess and be done with it.