Mortar joints in wall sections

mattfox

Question

9 answers to this question

@mattfox  Can you be a bit more specific ? You want to show this look on the walls in an elevational view, or just in a top plan view.......or both. .? If in elevational view you need to decide if you want to use a texture on the block.....which that opens up a whole other kettle of fish, meaning you need to decide what sort of texture/color, etc you want to apply to the block wall. Or, as boh  mentioned, if you prefer a hidden line look, you probably need to create something suitable for that scenario.

You get my point about being more specific?   🙂

• Like 1

Hi Kevin, Thanks.

I'll try to be more specific. Here are some examples of what I'm hoping for / trying to achieve... 

The first image shows a hatch i'm using for concrete block. I would like to add mortar joints (with the concrete hatch still there) so that I can work out the course layers etc. 

The second image shows a tile that I used to try and get close to what I wanted (albeit without the concrete hatch). However...

The third image shows that when I move to another detail, the tile doesn't quite stay the same. I now get vertical mortar joints visible. SO!

The fourth image shows what I'm happy with (This is what i'm aiming for), though i'm drawing over the viewport in "annotations" to show the mortar joints at the right spacings.

I was hoping that the wall tool or tile tool could help to show mortar joints at set spacings. But my VW skills elude me. I have tried using a hatch, but cannot corral this to give the correct spacing through the hatch.

Perhaps it's just lack of skill on my part. But I was hoping it would be a little easier.

That image you showed was close to what i'm after. But rather than an image texture, I was hoping for a hatch / tile.

Thanks

Matt 

Screenshot 2021-01-09 at 22.07.07.png

Screenshot 2021-01-09 at 22.08.45.png

Screenshot 2021-01-09 at 22.08.36.png

Screenshot 2021-01-09 at 22.07.13.png

Hi @mattfox like @Boh  said you can do this with a hatch. Straight lines are very easy to do with hatches. Here I superimposed a pair of horizontal lines over an existing hatch to make this:

760763109_Screenshot2021-01-09at23_23_27.thumb.png.e64771e43c3224b62c8d80b73427b94f.png

This has 10mm joints 215 apart + displays like this in a section VP:

1307392346_Screenshot2021-01-09at23_25_29.thumb.png.07e0b1c55ceea6dce7f0f61092260b86.png

The problem is the hatch you assign to the wall will display in top/plan view as well so I also made a different version of the hatch for top/plan use which has 10mm joints 440 apart + the lines going the other direction:

1014094909_Screenshot2021-01-09at23_32_11.thumb.png.f0baf8e62e06aa15ecb7ac3ee7fe6d97.png

Ensure 'Rotate in wall' is enabled so that the hatch turns the corners with the wall.

In the VP I used a class override to assign this to the wall:

2100536534_Screenshot2021-01-09at23_25_38.thumb.png.35ebb93118d41c2d8a9e039f3a1b11ee.png

Maybe you only need it in section + not in plan in which case ignore this part!

These are just fill hatches of course: no good for use as surface hatches. But if you wanted a surface hatch with 10mm mortar joints this wouldn't be too hard to achieve. I don't think any of the brick or block hatches show the mortar as such, they just have a single line to indicate the joint

Edited by Tom W.

Hi Tom. Thats excellent, thanks!

I have just had a play with the hatch tool and managed to get something to work. I wasn't sure the attribute mapping would work in a wall, but was gad it did, as I needed to adjust the hatch a little so that the first course of blocks started at the top of the foundation as a whole bock.

Much appreciated.

Matt