Models on different design layers disappear when changing line type of previous

FurnDesign

Question

I have posted something similar a few days ago, but the problem keeps persisting. I've made a new title block in Vectorworks Fundamentals 2021 with design layers for my different views (top, front, side, iso) just like I've done with every other version since 2011. I've added two screen shots of my problem. The first is showing how the "part" looks in each view as a wireframe when I first make the model. The second image is what happens when I change the line type (dashed hidden for the top, front and side view, hidden for the iso). 

If I go back in the other design layers, the hidden model is still there because it gets highlighted when my cursor moves over it, but it won't show up.

Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this? It's driving me nuts and I need to get drawings done!

Thanks!1178743435_AfterChanging.thumb.PNG.ff07b11b50ad84e54d49ab79f7a49a91.PNG

Before Changing.PNG

2 answers to this question

It is not the line type, it is the rendering.

Design layers "render to infinity". That means that you will only be able to see objects that are on the top design layer.

The standard way to do this in VW is to use a Sheet Layer and create a Viewport for each of the views. The viewports only render to their edges so you can show more than one thing on the layer.

Hi Pat,

Appreciate the insight. The weird thing is we (company I worked for in the past) have always used the design layers before and I've never had a problem like this before. When the new company I work for purchased the 2021 Vectorworks for me, I sent an old title block I used in version 2016 and 2018 to myself and it updated to 2021 and had the same problems with design layers disappearing when changing the line type. 

I'll try doing one with sheet layers and see what happens.

Thanks for the help!!