Slabs and Plinths

MGilc

I've a question about the method of creating slabs, as I think I'm doing it wrong.

When I create my walls, I use the slab tool which creates the slab and always it sits below the walls (see picture from tutorial from Vectorworks university Essentials). But this isn't how a slab and external wall would be.  The walls would go right down to the External ground level, not float above it with an exposed slab;  Currently my model has this exposed slab around it (see picture) as the tutorial does it.  

The walls are on 0 elevation, and the walls built up from the top of the slab, the slab built from top down.  

I saw a different variation from Jonathon Reeves with the base brick (see picture)  How would this be done? Does he essentially draw another base wall around the slab?

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 14.05.49.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 13.58.04.png

For slabs, should the external walls not start from elevation 0, the slab sit on top of that (so it's surrounded by the external walls) and then all your internal walls will have to have a different elevation (therefore a different layer?) so they all sit on the slab ???

Very confused.  What is the correct way to have slabs?? Surely not how the tutorial Essentials suggests.

Very briefly: set the bottom of your walls to 0 + the top of your slab to 0 but then give the outer component/s of the wall a negative offset to lower them to the correct elevation so that they cover the edge of the slab. You basically want the structural component of the wall sitting on top of the slab + the cladding components running long. 

Set the slab so it's bounded to the outside of the wall core or wherever exactly you want it depending on the construction detail.

I'd imagine Jonathan Reeves used two walls like you say: a plinth wall that the slab is bound to plus the walls proper sat on top. But equally it may be a single wall with the top (render) component given a positive offset so it doesn't extend right down to the bottom

• Like 2