2021 Drawing Label change

I'm trying to understand the logic behind how the 'Drawing Label' change in 2021 is more efficient than the legacy version. 

As far as I can make out, if I need to get my drawing labels to look like the Legacy version (see attached image) I have to go through a whole process of editing the style.

Somebody enlighten please.

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 13.27.31.png

• Like 1

This is what happens when someone "fixes" something that is not broken. I find it incredibly frustrating. I don't use upper & lower case lettering so I can't get the word "Scale" to change to "SCALE". I have tried to edit it in the style but it goes right back to "Scale". Can someone tell me how to fix this; I have to be doing something incorrectly.

• 1 month later...

I am so missing the ability to adjust the size of the text in the drawing label from the OIP

Drawing # -= Drawing Name - Scale- 

now you have to dig two levels deep to change the size of the text and you can't do for the individual label - you have to edit the actual style - 

I like the ability to save styles - that's great - but I think this trade off is extreme - 

Does anyone have a simpler way to adjust text sizes? 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Maybe try duplicating the style in the Resource Manager and change the text size as you need.  You could create a few styles with common variations of text sizes.  Then, you can replace the style of drawing labels in your document with these styles as needed.

@gvictoria1  Although it still involves a few clicks to change the text size for each individual drawing label, you can set the "Drawing Label Layout" under the style settings to be By Instance instead of By Style so that you can change the text size for each label individually. Doing this makes it so that there is still flexibility to change the text size for multiple labels of the same style. However, as Matt mentioned, the quickest workflow is probably to take advantage of the ability to use styles and to take a few minutes and create some new drawing label styles. In this way, through styles, you can still directly change the text size of your drawing labels by changing the drawing label style right in the OIP.

• Like 1

While there is no doubt it is great improvement and really joy to work with I am missing two things:

- way to globally change one style that is present in many instances in drawing ...something sort of replace texture, material dialogue box when you hit delete for that resource ...or am I missing something?

- field for custom text for example for subtitle

Edited by drelARCH
32 minutes ago, drelARCH said:

While there is no doubt it is great improvement and really joy to work with I am missing two things:

- way to globally change one style that is present in many instances in drawing ...something sort of replace texture, material dialogue box when you hit delete for that resource ...or am I missing something?

- field for custom text for example for subtitle

Totally agree with this! It's annoying that when you delete a style you don't get the option to replace instances with that style with another style (as you do when delete standard symbols). All you get is a bunch of unstyled instances. i've tried using a worksheet to change styles but that doesn't work (it does help you locate all the instances of the style however).

For adding notes/subtitles to drawing labels I often just use the "Custom Scale" option. You can however add an extra piece of text to the style definition and then link it to one of your own custom records and edit it via the data pane of the OIP. I just tried it and it works...

image.thumb.png.406e31f1e6edff40a5ead511f831ecbc.png

• Like 1

I didn't think that this was too much of an issue. Once you have edited the default drawing label style, you can import it into another file to replace the one that Vectorworks has made by default. This should replace all the drawing labels of that style. 

I looked at editing the drawing label in my Novedge webinar this morning, around the 24 minute mark. 

That's a good approach Jonathan. Doesn't quite work though where you have several label styles in the same drawing and you want one style to be just like another one. You could edit it as you suggest however then you have two styles that are the same- which is fine I guess but not ideal. It would be better to be able to delete one and replace it.

Or did I miss something? I'll try to watch the whole video soon... 🙂

Thanks @Boh @Jonathan Pickup @Andy Broomell.

For now custom modification is the way to go when one is not willing to change style itself. Thanks for detailed instructions. Not used custom modification much but this tool has definitely quite important place in toolset i guess. 

You know it is just matter of consistency. One would expect same dialogue to appear when style is deleted from RM as is case with other resources...

@Boh custom scale is field that I use too. Bringing it from pre 2021 release.

Nice to know we can connect label with custom records so there are definitely some option.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

How do you change the sheet number for a drawing label? I am trying to reference a detail from another sheet onto my layout plan, but the drawing label callout automatically shows the layout plan sheet number, and I can't figure out how to change it to reference the sheet that the detail is on.

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone

Maybe an easy task but I can't figure out the way to assign a fixed position to my drawing labels in relation to the size of the viewport. So let's say I do an original viewport of 1:50 and then re-scale it to 1:70 or 1:100, the result would be (as in the ss) the drawing label getting closer to the VP. I want to end up with a result like the second row.

* The drawing label it's a custom style inserted from the 'create a new VP' menu when creating a VP from a design layer into a sheet layer
* I've tried assigning a 2d locus to the drawing label style but nothing changed.

999312887_VPPhorum.thumb.png.864f5758928e2642b49a7051cfbd26df.png

• 2 months later...

Why can't I delete the default drawing label? I have created a new custom drawing label, and set it as the default. I then deleted the old default (the one shown in the image below). Then I saved my file as a template.

When I open a new file, new viewports are created using my custom drawing labels. But this old one is back in the drawing. Why? I didn't import it. Where did it come from?

It took me a lot of tries to set my custom drawing label as the default. It kept reverting back to the old one. I agree this new tool is pretty great, but it's not that easy to change to a new custom style. Vectorworks *REALLY* wants to use the old one.

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 16.36.05.png

Edited by Ride
  • 3 months later...
On 2/23/2021 at 4:50 PM, Matt Panzer said:

Maybe try duplicating the style in the Resource Manager and change the text size as you need.  You could create a few styles with common variations of text sizes.  Then, you can replace the style of drawing labels in your document with these styles as needed.

Can i modify the default drawing label? the line is too thick. It take so much time to change for every new drawing.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 hours ago, Jo Lee said:

Can i modify the default drawing label? the line is too thick. It take so much time to change for every new drawing.

Probably the best way to do this is to add the default Drawing Label style to any of your custom templates.  If you don't use custom templates, you could create one with it in there and maybe add some other defaults you'd like as well.