Create Report - Connected Devices

Is it possible to create a report that shows which devices are connected to a particular device? The specific example I am thinking of is for network switches. I would like to create a report that tells me which device is plugged into which port on the network switch. The challenge here is that VW/ConnectCAD will need to ignore the passive devices such as Data Term Panels that are between the switch and the end devices.

Any thoughts on how to accomplish this?

image.thumb.png.99e94bcee9c04a274e05d0d6d992bbf5.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Daniel,

This is something that Vectorworks native reports can't do I think. A script would be the way accomplish this. I'm collecting up these case to refer them to the team working on reports. And I'll try and find time to rustle up a script. Meanwhile do take a look at Marionette - it's a great way to automate stuff without the pain of writing code.

Happy New Year!

Conrad

• 3 years later...

Hi all, I had a play with this today. As hoped it seems you can create a connections report, duplicate it and name it something else (in my case "Switch patching") and then edit that criteria so it includes "Field Value" "Dst_Dev_Name" "=" "*Name of whatever device you care about*"

This is direction specific, which works for some devices like a power distribution unit. But for something like a vision matrix with outputs and inputs may mean you want to use OR functions instead of ALL functions to show destination or source devices. But this seems to be a start!

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 3.26.18 pm.png

• Like 1