C4D Import

Mark Aceto

Every few years, I relearn the same lesson that VW can’t import native Cinema files (only textures). Is there a reason that this will never happen, or is this something that’s being worked on for future compatibility? In the meantime, I’ve asked my client to export 3DS files. Some light research seems to indicate that FBX might be missing some level of detail including textures and surfaces.

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Like 1

like a .max file, C4D files are proprietary.  The industry "standards" have become .obj, .fbx, and .3ds.  But bear in mind that you are importing things from a polygonal model to a solids based modelling program.  There will be issues with all of them.  

Here's where you can go down the rabbit hole and read all about the inner workings of modelling programs: https://www.okino.com/default.htm

• Like 3
6 hours ago, grant_PD said:

like a .max file, C4D files are proprietary.  The industry "standards" have become .obj, .fbx, and .3ds.  But bear in mind that you are importing things from a polygonal model to a solids based modelling program.  There will be issues with all of them.  

Here's where you can go down the rabbit hole and read all about the inner workings of modelling programs: https://www.okino.com/default.htm

What a great read, TY @grant_PD.

• Like 1

What may help, if you have Rhino, is to open the file in Rhino and use its fixing tools to get rid of most or sometimes all of the triangulation mess. You will still have a surface model but it may be a lot cleaner. I have used this to convert triangulated 3D dwg models to 3DS and then import into VW and got a cleaner result than directly importing the dwg files into VW.

Of course it depends on the quality of the model as well in how far this detour will be of use, if the triangulated model is really garbage I wouldn't expect too much.

• Like 2