Referenced Class Visibility Control in Different Viewports?

Hi all. I am having trouble with the reference file.

For instance, I referenced a cad file and set it on "xref" class, it has two layers (A & B).  Then I am trying to set up two viewports on the sheet layer. Viewport 1 will only show layer A and viewport 2 will only show layer B.

However, using the visibility tool, I can only control to turn on/off the "xref" class, I don't have further control on layer A/B in the viewport setting. If I go back to design layer and turn off/on  A/B, it will affect both viewports.

Is there any solution? Thank you.

2021 Landmark

8 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

The only work around is to import a second version of the Referenced viewport and set the visibilities there.

Pat is right that with viewport referencing that is the only way. You can do what you want however using design layer referencing.

Instead of creating a vp and then browsing to an external file to reference go to the reference tab on the nav palette. Right click ‘new’. I think you then get an option to use vp referencing or “old style design layer referencing”.

Using this option for your project will create new referenced design layers A and B. You can then create multiple sheet layer vps with whatever combo of dl visibilities you like.

@Boh is also correct. But remember that if you do Layer Referencing, ALL of the classes that are in the referenced file will be imported into your drawing. If both files use the same class names but different class attributes, there will be issues with how things display.

If the referenced layer is truly a reference and not something you want to modify I think it is better to keep the reference contained and just have separate viewports for what you want to see.

But try both and see which works better for you.

I forgot about the class conflict issue with dl referencing. What I’ve done in the past is to add a ‘zref-‘ prefix to the classes in the referenced file so there are no conflicts and the referenced classes all group together at the bottom of the class list.