DWG Import - Crashing etc

Stu Wilson

Question

1 answer to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @Stu Wilson,

I am sorry to read that you have had so many troubles with DWG import... I downloaded the zip - it actually contains a big project with lots of referenced DWG files. What is your workflow to import the project files? Do you use our Import Single DWG menu and bind all the references inside a single document or do you use the approach with Vectorworks referencing (Import DXF/DWG or DWF menu command, References group options)? Do you import using the default import options? What Vectorworks version do you use and are you on a Win machine or on a Mac?

I tried different approaches, but did not see a crash (VW2021 SP2, Win). Saw some issues, but they might be due to the differences in the way we present some of the objects or assigning some of them to classes with different visibility compared to DWG (this could happen and might be reasonable depending on the complexity of the original project).

One of the things I saw, is that one of the DWG blocks has a line inside its definition from (0,0) to the rest of the graphics far away in the space, which is set to an invisible layer - the line extents are however used to calculate the proposed layer scale and switching to the Design layer in Vectorworks shows the real graphics as a point and you have to zoom there to see it. This is something, which comes from the original project, but you could control it choosing a better layer scale from the  Model space scale options in the Advanced options dialog. 

If you want you might write directly to me.

Thank you for reporting,

Nina