Alias|Wavefront Maya software

If there is anyone using Maya, or any other surface based 3D applications for that matter, that have had more success than less in the importing of more complex geometric data to VectorWorks, please send a note on how you have done so.

We're finding VectorWorks Architect crashes quite freqently with Maya generated DXF data,and have not had much better luck going from Maya to AutoCAD to VectorWorks.

The data we're trying to import is NURBS based, so it isn't a conflict with solid geometry. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.

Maya DXF is corrupt - it has more vertices in poly face meshes than it claims to have. VW doesn't handle this case and crashes. This will be fixed in the next release after 9.0.1, but may still result in incorrect imports until the Maya people fix their export code.

VW is at fault here with the DXF code !!! MAYA can be exported to every other 2D or 3D software out there except for VW. After speaking with the people @ VW I was told two things, If they got back to me within two days it was an easy fix, if not it will take months to solve the problem. This was over five days ago. Maybe we can all talk about this in three to five.

Dear Jodawi:

While I appreciate the tersness and finality of your answer, there doesn't seem to me to be much substance to back your claim. My office actually does a fair amount of work with the Alias|Wavefront people, and we have NEVER had a problem using the Alias coded DXF translator - as a matter of fact, it has never been updated from release 1.0 because it has been seamless in its translation into softwares such as AutoCAD and Microstation. Further, I have done a fair amount of research into the nature of the current DXF code in VW, and, as it turns out, the Nemetscheck people dropped the code that had been included in previuos versions of VectorWorks and MiniCAD - written by a 3rd party vendor known as Kandu Software - because they happened to think they could write a better translator. This in my mind is when the real problem occured, as several years of development were disregarded for the current code that has seemed to generate many complaints. I realize it may be easy to point fingers and suggest that the Alias code creates anomolies in the surface geometry as a VW user or employee, but I can assure you that I have worked with this stuff for nearly a decade and have not known the problems you are suggesting to occur with any other 3d/2d platform. How about a better answer than it will be fixed in the second to next release?

Dear Jodawi:

While I appreciate the tersness and finality of your answer, there doesn't seem to me to be much substance to back your claim. My office actually does a fair amount of work with the Alias|Wavefront people, and we have NEVER had a problem using the Alias coded DXF translator - as a matter of fact, it has never been updated from release 1.0 because it has been seamless in its translation into softwares such as AutoCAD and Microstation. Further, I have done a fair amount of research into the nature of the current DXF code in VW, and, as it turns out, the Nemetscheck people dropped the code that had been included in previuos versions of VectorWorks and MiniCAD - written by a 3rd party vendor known as Kandu Software - because they happened to think they could write a better translator. This in my mind is when the real problem occured, as several years of development were disregarded for the current code that has seemed to generate many complaints. I realize it may be easy to point fingers and suggest that the Alias code creates anomolies in the surface geometry as a VW user or employee, but I can assure you that I have worked with this stuff for nearly a decade and have not known the problems you are suggesting to occur with any other 3d/2d platform. How about a better answer than it will be fixed in the second to next release?