Window dimension field won't highlight

Mik

Question

Please forgive me if there is an obvious reason for this but in my small world, this is annoying.

Click on Settings of a window in the OIP and change the dimensions. I start with the first field (width), then tab to the next (height) and the field will not highlight - the cursor just sits at the front of the field.

This forces me to delete what is there and then type the new dimension.

The elevation and all other fields properly highlight when you tab to them. Reverse tab to the width and it behaves like the height. Only width and height will not highlight when tabbing to them in the Settings of an existing window.

I noticed this on VW2019 and still here on VW2021 (I skip updates).

I don't think it was a problem in VW2017 but it showed up somewhere between VW2015 - VW2017 for me.

I just upgraded to VW2021 and see it is still happening. Does not happen if you edit the dimension right in the OIP nor when first setting up window parameters before placement.

If there is no special reason for this, it seems it would be a simple thing to remedy. 

11 answers to this question

MIk

That is odd. I am a Mac guy using VW 2020 and I have no problem whatsoever with the issue you mentioned.

When I am in the OIP tabbing from width-height-elevation works as advertised. 

Did you try rebooting?  

Amazing how that can clean things up.  I have noticed the odd thing happening in VW if I have left my computer in sleep mode for too many days.

I opened a 2019 file just to test it and all worked normally there too.

Does this happen in other files??  OR just the file you were working in where you noticed the problem happening?  Maybe check that as well.

Otherwise.....You may need to perform an exorcism on your computer.  :-)

Kevin,

I should have given my environment info: Windows 10, VW2021 SP 2 (current).

I can restart the app, reboot the computer. It has always happened since a few versions back. Although sometimes it won't highlight both the width and height fields but always the height.

Check out the screen capture and watch the fields highlight as I tab through them.

Mik

Strange indeed. But....there is almost always a reason for these things happening.

Maybe a 'Windows' thing?  If the file isn't huge maybe you could upload it here and find a PC person and see if THEY have the same issue?

Maybe even just create a new small blank file with just a wall or two with windows in the wall, to keep the file size small.

Perhaps, if you feel like it, export the file as a VW 2020 version too and I can see what happens on my end. 

Sadly, it is necessary to play detective with issues like yours until hopefully you can find the culprit .

Kevin,

In that video, there was no file loaded other than the default "Untitled1" when you open VW. 

I did it that way to illustrate there is nothing in files that are introducing this. It comes purely from VW itself.

I was running VW fresh - nothing else loaded.

Its been happening for years and I just ignored it thinking it would be something obvious they would fix on a new update.

Maybe the number of users of VW on Windows is really tiny so they don't care about us?

Until someone says something? LOL

I was hoping it was a small oversight that they could see and flip a field parameter to fix it. 

Maybe other Windows users could chime in.

I would not know of a keyboard setting like that but to have it only occur on a couple particular fields only in Vectorworks would seem to rule that out. 

What are the particulars of the machine you used to test this?

VW version/SP/build; is the Windows machine current with all Microsoft updates; I suppose we could look at graphics card details ...

But honestly, a problem so isolated like this would tend to point to the application. I mean, there are several other fields in that window that do highlight but only one or two that don't. 

You have answered one question for me implicitly: it should not behave that way.

Thank you for taking a look.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Mik ,

My apologies!  I read your post too fast and should've watched you video.  I was testing in the Object Info and not in the Settings dialog.

I DO see the issue you're having.

I just submitted a bug report for this:

VB-176519

Here are all of the problem fields I could find in the Door and Window Settings dialogs in Windows 10 OS:

Window PIO:

General Pane:

• Width
  • Height

Jamb and Sash Pane:

• Shim Gap
  • Masonry Module

Louvers Pane:

• Blade Angle

Transom Pane:

• Sash Offset
  • Mullion Depth

Lintel Pane:

• Drop

Door PIO:

General Pane:

• Offset in Wall

Configuration: Barn Door Pane:

• Rail Depth

Jamb Pane:

• Depth
  • Jamb Extension Width
  • Masonry Module

Lights Pane:

• Bar Offset

Transom Pane:

• Mullion Depth
  • Bar Offset

Interior Wall Detail Pane:

• Number of Components

Exterior Wall Detail Pane:

• Number of Components
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Just now, Mik said:

Aha! You found a bunch of them. I only saw width/height as those are the ones I will routinely just tab to and type.

Thanks for checking further and submitting.

Cheers!

You're welcome!

Thanks for pushing!  I know how these "little annoyances" can be very frustrating. 😉