Having problems with GIS

I have Architect.

I am trying to use GIS to input a plat and augment it with roads, etc.  Here's what I did:

1) I got a KML of the plat and convertered it to a shp.

2) I located the property with the GIS locate, and after a while the image came up and was fairly accurate.

3) I imported the shp file, and it displayed the plat layout as a filled trapezoid shape (I just want the plat outline, and don't want it to be filled).  I can't seem to do anything with the filled figure.

4) If I try to select any other tool set and tool, the GIS image goes away, so I can't trace it for roads, etc.

5) Going back to the GIS tooset, I save the file and exit Vectorworks.  When I retrieve the file and reload Vectorworks, the plat layout is there, but the GIS isn't.  Vectorworks is trying to retrieve it (according to the message at the bottom of the screen).  Sometimes it can, and sometimes it hangs.

6) When I had the GIS image up and the plat layout, I tried GIS stake tool and could stake the 4 corners of the plat.  But when I want to the Site Planning tool (and the GIS picture disappeared) the stakes were there.  I then tried to use the Property Line Tool (I have the original surveyed plat) with the stakes, but the scaling was totally off and the lines drawn by the Property Line Tool didn't match with the stakes (the lines were way too short).

Does anyone know what is going on here, and how I can get a plat into Vectorworks (using GIS, because I need features other than the surveyed plat (such as roads, streams, etc.)?

I do a lot of site planning (planning as in scenarios, big P Planning, and very large sites, km's across) with vw, but tend to work largely in 2D and without using the terrain tools*. I do 3D-heavy tasks in QGIS and Sketchup,  faster that way. In NZ publicly-funded spatial data is available online (mainly thru a single database) as either dwg/shp so is easy to import.

*Some of my reason for this is that the Property Line Tool lacks most functionality and un-customisable and not fit for purpose. Over the years I've put multiple entries on the wishlist but have seen no improvement. A big one is topological editing which I can kludge in Sketchup and is straight-forward with QGIS, another is poor annotation e.g. square metres, usually written as m² appears as S.M. (so ignorant that it's embarrassing) - yet there's no way to change it. The most recent (its date is telling; an indication no one's using it) Property Line discussion below:

Edited by unearthed
Adding extra info