NIghtmares galore...

Well... A month has gone by since installing Vectorworks Architect 9 and Renderworks 9...

All is not well in Denmark...

First big bug was that Renderworks 9 does not like files produced/started in previous versions (VWA 8.5.2) and says it needs more memory (increase memory partition error message... I am sure there are plenty of you out there that have seen this...)

Then, attempting to update the file to V2 objects then causes almost everything to freeze or crash... Worst part about this is most times a crash causes corruption to the drawing file, which then upon attempting to recover, does not... Guess I now know why AutoCAD always leaves a *.bak or autosave file... Grrr... Thank god for central servers with synchronized backups; still - does not help when you lose a day or more of work (depending on how many days on the road with a laptop).

So... Here I am transitioning BACK to VWA 8.5.2, in hopes that I can get semi-productive again (not playing video games here...) and presto... More problems... After exporting the file from VWA 9 back to VWA 8, many items are not useable... Issue Manager says that there are not parameters available, so it cannot be used. Objects no longer are modifiable (i.e. Titleblocks, etc.) so that I can change the size of paper, etc.

Man... This whole thing has turned into an embarassing nightmare... I guess I could go back to the initial VWA 8 file that was left behind when first transitioning it over to a VWA 9 file, but that would leave me losing up to three weeks of work on some of my projects...

The AIA National Convention is here in Denver this week, and we are attending their cocktail reception this Friday... Apparently I will have a lot to discuss with any of the tech people that are available...

Overall, this experience only parallels a MS Windows upgrade; something as being a 15 year Mac-user, I am unfamiliar with... Sometimes we take the Mac user-friendly interface (usually this includes software & OS upgrades...) for granted... If I had to tend to the problems such as we are experiencing right at this time, all these years of working on computers (Suns, Macs and Windows...), I think we would have stuck to pen and ink...

I have contacted various people at Nemetschek via e-mail regarding some of these issues, so I am hopeful to hear that they are in the middle of finishing up a 'service pack' or substantial bug fix...

Disappointed may not be the word I am looking for, maybe more along the lines of heartbreak...

We're hanging in there for now... Things like this cannot be fixed and/or thrown out overnight, but people here at the office are not too pleased, especially since it was myself that initiated the move from AutoCAD 2000 and Architectural Desktop 2/3, to Vectorworks and Renderworks... Now, I am to wonder if that was all the best decision or if it was purely based on emotional attachment to the better platform...

Guess we shall have to wait (not too long) and see... In the meantime, mucking through VWA 8.5.2 without many of its (prior) tools and abilities...

frown.gif

------------------

C M Harada

Perspectives Design

Group, ink

Denver, CO

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

One last comment, C.M. You said that your problems were caused by using the Convert to V2 objects command, however this is not needed when converting from an earlier version of VA, only when converting from an earlier version of VW. Are you a user of VA 1.0.1 or VW 8.5.2?

"not well in denmark".....

Ditto your experience. My initial relief that NNA had the foresight to install an "argh!....convert-back" utility(to return to the relative safety of 8.5.2) was extinguished with all the problems that've been noted.

A couple of workarounds that allowed me to use the re-converted 8.5.2 file:

I had luck re-installing my old borders by doing a purge of unused classes, records, and textures; deleting the problem title boxes from their sheets, then copying very same box from the corresponding sheet on the last saved(not converted) file.

Also, I found that my re-converted title block tool was corrupted in the voyage to 9.0 and back but its problem was easily corrected by revising the scale parameter from the "1000-7000" which the conversion inserts back to "1".