Slow down in overall speed

Is anyone else experiencing a major slow down with VA9? I'm on a G4 dual 450 w/640M of RAM and everything has slowed down.

Going from different views can take up to 5 or 8 seconds; the new rendering tool is buggy (keep getting an error that I don't have enough K allocated to application - no matter how much I have allocated).

What happened to Quicktime rendering?

Has anyone found any work arounds.

I like many of the new features in VA/RW 9 but don't like these slow downs and awkward rendering changes.

I've got the same machine with about half the memory, and I'm not seeing those delays when switching views. Does it happen with all files, or only with certain files, or with all sufficiently large files?

QuickDraw 3D rendering, which was part of Quicktime, is officially no longer supported by Apple. It has been replaced by OpenGL, which is probably a very good thing in the long run. OpenGL really is a standard in the world of 3D graphics, used for everything from scientific simulations to feature films.

Caleb Strockbine

caleb@nemetschek.net

quote:

Originally posted by Caleb Strockbine:

I've got the same machine with about half the memory, and I'm not seeing those delays when switching views. Does it happen with all files, or only with certain files, or with all sufficiently large files?

QuickDraw 3D rendering, which was part of Quicktime, is officially no longer supported by Apple. It has been replaced by OpenGL, which is probably a very good thing in the long run. OpenGL really is a standard in the world of 3D graphics, used for everything from scientific simulations to feature films.

Caleb Strockbine

caleb@nemetschek.net

These are new files - not very large. Initially, I had Virtual memory off, and then I turned it on. Doesn't seem to make a difference. Caleb, how much memory do you have allocated to your VA9 application? Maybe I set it too high (or maybe not high enough?).

Overall, overthing seems sluggish in VA9.

I'm using OS 9.0.4 - is that what you are using too?

Any other suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

We are experiencing the same sluggish performance with VW9 speed. All files seem to be effected no matter how big (some of ours are up to 15MB). Switching between saved sheet views is painfully slow, sometimes its hard to tell if the view has changed. I hope this is a fixable bug...

------------------

Jim McAuliffe, RA

• 2 weeks later...