Batch-editing record fields?

Under Tools/Records I can bulk-apply a record to the contents of a symbol folder within the resource browser, and make one-shot changes to the fields in that record for the contents of that folder. 

What would be really useful is if there were a dialog where I could edit the contents of all fields in that record in all symbols that have it attached: much like the newish batch rename dialog. Perhaps even symbols that have nested (nested-nested-nested) symbols with the record attached.

Does something like this exist, that I've missed over the years, or is this a feature request?

It is called a Worksheet.  ;-)

Any Record.Field combination can be edited in a worksheet and the changes will apply to the record attached to the object.

The easiest way to get started would be to right click on a row header in an empty worksheet (I usually start in Row 3 so I have room for a title and labels) and choose Create Report. At the top of the dialog box set the criteria to be Object with Your Record (whatever name that is).

Then in the bottom choose the fields you want to display and possibly edit.

To do a bulk change, manually edit one cell, COPY that data, then select the range of cells to put the data into and PASTE.

Ask again if you need more help.

You are correct. I did not read your initial post closely enough. Thanks for the kind words.

There is certainly not a built in way to view and edit the data on multiple objects in the Resource Manager. So yes, you should put is on the Wish List.

I have to play a little, but it MIGHT be possible to do with a couple of "relatively" simple worksheet scripts and Database by Script, but I will have to see if it is possible to access Resources in a Database by Script.

The other option might be to place an instance of each symbol, edit the placed symbols using a worksheet and then use a script to write the values back to the symbol definitions. I THINK that script exists. If it doesn't, then I know I have planned on writing it for a long time. Maybe I will eventually get around to it.

5 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

The other option might be to place an instance of each symbol, edit the placed symbols using a worksheet and then use a script to write the values back to the symbol definitions. I THINK that script exists. If it doesn't, then I know I have planned on writing it for a long time. Maybe I will eventually get around to it.

I was wondering if there was something like this out there. I would defo use it if there was. In my symbol libraries I like to place an instance of each symbol on a design layer so having the ability to add data an instance and then send that data back to be part If the definition would be invaluable for updating libraries.

• 2 years later...
On 12/23/2020 at 10:30 PM, Pat Stanford said:

You are correct. I did not read your initial post closely enough. Thanks for the kind words.

There is certainly not a built in way to view and edit the data on multiple objects in the Resource Manager. So yes, you should put is on the Wish List.

I have to play a little, but it MIGHT be possible to do with a couple of "relatively" simple worksheet scripts and Database by Script, but I will have to see if it is possible to access Resources in a Database by Script.

Hi Pat! Did you get any closer to a solution or a script for batch editing record fields at symbols in resource manager?