12 minutes ago, grant_PD said:

10 minutes to draw the markups

while I was not there for the existing conditions field notes...I would assume ~6hrs. This would include general drive time.

It seems like it would tie up a person most of the day if you sent someone out to do that...they would leave at 8am then back by 3pm...could be wrong...but that is my gut feeling

Edited by digitalcarbon

I do have to chime in on this one, with total impunity. First, i would rather eat bees than even imaging drawing sections and elevations with 2D methodology, full stop.

If anyone or any design firm thinks that 2D is the way to go in producing working drawings is living on planet Claire or Earth 2.

I can’t tell you how many times I have encountered people or firms that would say, “ oh, we only work in 2d”. 
I have tried to tell those people how they are missing the boat, but, you know the old saying about “ leading the horse to water”.

I am sure I don’t need to remind most of you all the reasons we do embrace residing in the 3d world.

As mentioned, yes, it takes a bit longer to develop a thoughtful, tight 3d model of a project. But, after that, creating construction docs is an easy downhill slide.

Approaching a project with the 2d paradigm versus a 3d is as divergent as croissants and fill dirt.

So, “TIME” that!

Ok......my Wednesday rant is over. 🙂

• Like 2

It was waaaaay back, at one of Janis Kent's (anyone remember her?) MiniCad Training Seminars, that's when I "got it". That was the best three days (of classes) that I ever spent in my life. And most of what she taught us is still relevant today. Even though VW's has changed (and not always for the better - today I'm very upset about the "new" orbit animation tool eg) the basic bones are still the same.

14 minutes ago, EAlexander said:

Same here. 

Haha,

yes, but you are another league,

otherwise you wouldn't have that portfolio.

I can imagine that time flies.

Not really because of the geometry but because you have to try to read and sort

all that handwritten dimensions, that may contradict here and there.

And I am sure I would need an extra 4 hours just because of the use of imperial

fractions, "funny units" as I am used to call them.

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, Christiaan said:

4. We had to streamline the director's feasibility study files, because they were often the foundation of any project and I had realised that this was where a lot of the office ill-discipline was stemming from.

Could you expand on that? I’m interested to know if this might be one of my stumbling blocks.

1 hour ago, zoomer said:

Haha,

yes, but you are another league,

otherwise you wouldn't have that portfolio.

I can imagine that time flies.

Not really because of the geometry but because you have to try to read and sort

all that handwritten dimensions, that may contradict here and there.

And I am sure I would need an extra 4 hours just because of the use of imperial

fractions, "funny units" as I am used to call them.

Ha - Thank you!