VW 2021 Long (10+min) load times or crashing when updating section viewports in hidden line mode.

Pianocm

Question

Good morning,

I was wondering if anyone could take a look at my file and tell me what's going on with it. Any time I try to update one of the viewports, I get the loading will that lasts until either a long time passes or Vectorworks crashes. The file seems to work okay until I touch the viewports.

This was a new file that originally started in v2021.

The only solution I've found was to save the file down to 2020 - and it seems to be working okay there.

Elevations V2021 Help.vwx

5 answers to this question

10 minutes ago, Andrew Bell said:

It looks like it's spending a lot of time in several of the viewports on a toilet that is invisible in the final rendering. Does hiding the A_PLAN-FF&E-EQUIP class give you a significant speedup and the results you're looking for?

Hmm, it does speed up.. Any idea why that would be a cause for the slow down?

The 3D portion of the toilet is a Mesh consisting of over 3800 separate 3D polygons. Probably way more detailed than you need for even a high end render unless you are rendering for an advertisement for the toilet.

Way too many manufacturers just reuse their highly detailed manufacturing models rather than simplify them for the actual expected end use.

I did a project to generate 3D models of a set of injection molded valves. Once I got them done the company was going to post them on the website so anyone could download them. Until I pointed out that that also meant that anyone who wanted to would also have the information necessary to have the valves built. We ended up going back and creating a second model for the web site that was dimensionally accurate external, but without any of the internal details.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Pat Stanford said:

The 3D portion of the toilet is a Mesh consisting of over 3800 separate 3D polygons. Probably way more detailed than you need for even a high end render unless you are rendering for an advertisement for the toilet.

Way too many manufacturers just reuse their highly detailed manufacturing models rather than simplify them for the actual expected end use.

I did a project to generate 3D models of a set of injection molded valves. Once I got them done the company was going to post them on the website so anyone could download them. Until I pointed out that that also meant that anyone who wanted to would also have the information necessary to have the valves built. We ended up going back and creating a second model for the web site that was dimensionally accurate external, but without any of the internal details.

Thanks for the explanation - that does make sense. That being said, we use this typical toilet in all of our projects - some much larger than this - VW 2020 handles them fine with no change in speed or delay in updating times. The toilet in use here is also one that's in the default library.

I did try swapping the toilets out with ones that used solids instead of a mesh, and it worked just fine. I suppose the next step is to try making a new file with these toilets there and seeing if I can reproduce the issue.