Project Sharing Server accessible from outside?

Actually I had the idea of setting up a project-sharing-server for being accessible from the web, so our team mates could work in project sharing from their home-office as well.

Due to Covid-19 home-office everywhere gets more and more a part of actual working environments, so working with project sharing from home, gets more and more interesting.

Actually ComputerWorks @marc wittwer recommends us, to use Project Sharing with a dropbox account, but, somehow we prefer using our own network-resources, although we got a new server, which is accessible from outside for exchanging files, as well. So I thought it might be interesting setting up a project-sharing-server-service on our server as well for test issues.

Do you already have any experience with the project-sharing-server on the web? At all as far as I understood  it works via http and, http is one of the internets most native protocols. So, why shouldn't it work?

• Administrator

@matteoluigi Although it will work, we don't recommend this setup. Moving (downloading/Uploading) your entire Project File across the internet will be slow, and the performance is very dependent on your users' internet speed at home. However, if this is not a concern, I suggest you try your set up first before moving any big or current project to this new configuration.  

• Like 1

When Project Sharing Server was in beta I experimented with setting it up as a Docker image on a cloud computing server (DigitalOcean) and it worked great (because cloud computing servers are generally Tier 4 connections) but security is something to bear in mind. In its current form PSS doesn't include user login or password protection, so you're relying partly on URL obscurity when you use it over the net. You could use a VPN but then you'll run into performance bottlenecks.

I'm a great fan of Dropbox in conjunction with Vectorworks but we're using Resilio now, which I also like. It's more secure than Dropbox and also means our files reside only on our machines; transfers are peer-to-peer. This also makes GDPR compliance straightforward (although you can also request the location of your data centres when you sign up to Dropbox)

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 3