Language consistency - Slab should be floor

Matt Overton

Question

8 hours ago, E|FA said:

Or labeled as "legacy" similar to what they did for the old markers in 2021 (screenshot from VW 2021 workspace editor): 

1050485155_LegacyTools.thumb.png.02b815fc6268972f4b5bc6a6a919e776.png

I included a general request in items 10 & 11 in this post: 

Yes very much in favour of a "Best Practice" workspace to not only ship with the program but be the default. Older versions of this then become legacy with say version number. 

Good to see a start finally tagging some legacy tools. 

7 hours ago, michaelk said:

I vote for renaming rather than making it legacy.  I use the Floor tool every day - rarely for floors :-).

It could be upgraded with the rename to be the basis of all slab like objects. 

ie A slab if decomposed could be a group of "simple slab"s. Also benches and other things we use simple single component slabs for.

On 12/22/2020 at 7:16 PM, Matt Overton said:

As per title Slab object should be renamed floor object to be consistent with Roof and Wall.

Oh and also upgraded to handle timber and framed structures.

I'm happy with the name "slab" the slab is used to create floors and ceilings. if you change the name to Floor, you'll be using a floor object to make a ceiling. that would seem strange for single storey buildings. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Jonathan Pickup said:

I'm happy with the name "slab" the slab is used to create floors and ceilings. if you change the name to Floor, you'll be using a floor object to make a ceiling. that would seem strange for single storey buildings. 

So if you created a schedule of slab types used in a file to give the builders would you call it a "Slab schedule"?

Now that I think of it - is there another resource name that I'd need to schedule that wouldn't match the name of the resource or it's plug-in. 

Problem is the VW naming requires a mental translation of language to construction terminology. Like for instance a young grad talking about the slab in the model to a senior director who was getting annoyed because in was a timber structure. 

I see no problem with ceilings being made with floors, they are after all structurally weak floors. I mean ideally the ceiling could be part of the  Floor(Slab) and certainly the ceiling is always designed in the context of the structure above (Floor or Roof) and everything happening in between. 

'Slab' is just the name of the tool. The fact the technical name for objects created using that tool is 'slab' has no bearing on how you report on those objects (or rather how they appear in reports).

I don't really have an issue conceptually with this. There are all sorts of objects in VW that have names in the O.I.P. that don't reflect what they represent in the model.

I think if you were discussing the construction of the building with the senior director or the client or whoever you wouldn't use the term 'slab' anyway: you'd refer to what the thing actually is, be it the floor finish, the structural floor, the suspended ceiling, ground bearing concrete slab, hardstanding, etc.

The same as you wouldn't refer to a floor joist as a 'framing member' or a steel column as a 'structural member' or a kitchen worktop a 'floor' for that matter.

The name of the tool/object is slightly arbitrary. It's not that important in my eyes. And the more flexibility you have for creating whatever objects you want using these tools the better

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Matt Overton said:

Problem is the VW naming requires a mental translation of language to construction terminology. Like for instance a young grad talking about the slab in the model to a senior director who was getting annoyed because in was a timber structure. 

This is why I always try to remember to capitalise terms like Slab when discussing such tools on this forum.

I see no problem with ceilings being made with floors, they are after all structurally weak floors.

Please no, you're going to give me hives! 😆

floor | flɔː | noun | the lower surface of a room, on which one may walk

ceiling | ˈsiːlɪŋ | noun | the upper interior surface of a room

They're very much opposites! There's no walking on the ceilings we model. There's not even enough space to crawl in our ceiling voids.

4 hours ago, Tom W. said:

The name of the tool/object is slightly arbitrary. It's not that important in my eyes. And the more flexibility you have for creating whatever objects you want using these tools the better

While I disagree with Matt over the naming of the Slab tool I do agree with him that naming is important. Naming of tools contributes to the intuitiveness of the software. And one of my pet hates is tools being given American-centric names. For example the new "Barn Door". To me a barn door is a big wooden rustic casement door to an agricultural building, but apparently in America it's a surface mounted sliding door, quite at home inside ones McMansion. What it should have been called is: Wall Mounted Slider.

In a sense that's agreement with you though. Names should be generic and flexible.

Edited by Christiaan
  • Like 2
20 hours ago, Matt Overton said:

Unlikely, if that senior director was worth their salt...

They would know that "slab" is not dependent on material and is merely a word describing an architectural form 🙂  Context is everything.

I use vectorworks "slab styles" in my hardscape definitions, there is no concrete in most of my "slabs" and I don't see a problem.

Edited by jeff prince
  • Like 2
17 hours ago, Christiaan said:

Please no, you're going to give me hives! 😆

floor | flɔː | noun | the lower surface of a room, on which one may walk

ceiling | ˈsiːlɪŋ | noun | the upper interior surface of a room

Given one may walk is an important part of that then the structure is inherently part of the floor.