Site Model Simplification

Steve Riddle

Question

10 answers to this question

It is an extremely detailed model.

There are over 260,000 objects. The contour lines are polygons with hundreds or thousands of vertices.

What are you using the file for? If it is just background, then put it in its own VW file and use a Referenced Viewport to bring it into your file.

The 3d polys in the Surf_CB classes seem to be a lot of the problem. Try setting the Class Options to Active Only to isolate the items and put everything in each of those classes into a group. Edit the group and make sure they are all deselected. Drawing selection handles for 163000 3D polygons takes a long time.

For the contour lines, Still you Active Only to isolate the items in each class, then use the Select Similar tool to select all of the contour polygons. Use Simplify Polygon (Modify Menu:Drafting Aids:Simplify Polys...) with as large of deviation from the current settings as you can accept. I used 0.25 meters, if you can accept more even better.

Those steps above give me a file that I can zoom and pan on reasonably well on a 2019 MacBook Pro. I don't know how well your 2014 will work.

Also, the center of the drawing is about 400 km x 800 km from the drawing origin. If you don't need those exact coordinates, then you should move the objects much closer to the origin, probably center the drawing on 0,0. If you do need the exact coordinates you need to read up on Georeferencing.  VW will not be able to render properly with the drawing so far from the origin.

HTH.

• Like 1

I am using the file as a base model for rendering a new subdivision in Twinmotion.

The source file was put together in Civil 3d by the roading Engineers,  I see the TIN file (Surf_CB) is too much for VW to process, so have used the contours only at 0.2m (Landmark,Create Site Model, Simplfy 3d polys). The best result would be if the software could process the tin as designed by the engineer.  The resulting model is good enough to work with for now, but as a work around I will get 3d polygons of the kerbs, channels, road centrelines etc to clean up the edges where VW is triangulating between the contours. 

The Road surface, footpaths etc I have placed texture beds with a simplification tolerance of 0.1m, this has worked out well, its great to have the option to reduce the number of vertices for these.

The texture beds via C4D export work well in Twinmotion.

Thanks for your help 🙂

Untitled.pdf

Took a quick look, but looks like you only simplified the major contours.  I was able to simplify a minor contour from 172 vertices to 30 by using simplify poly, and setting the maximum distance to about 3, (after trying 1.5 and 2, not sure you might not go further on some of them without losing details)

Kevin,

Here you go, I think (never have uploaded to VW boards, so let me know).

I looked at a few more contour lines, and was able to simplify them without losing important info all the way up to 6 units apart as maximum distance in the simplify poly mode.  7 started taking out road crowns and the like.  On a few partial polygons (they are broken, which is fine, but if connected perhaps more impressive) I got 170+ vertices down to 42 at that maximum distance.  Not sure how much it will reduce file size, but should be a chunk.

1022-2D_v2020 vw boards 2020 12 19 12 Cen.zip

Edited by Rossford

Steve and Rossford

So.....in delving into the file a bit, a few things to consider.

I sort of stripped it down and deleted many of the classes just to facilitate easily creating a 3d site model.  There was a bit of confussing redundancy and I am totally clueless as to how much of the site actually requires a site model, so I just did it all with no site model crop. For this example I used the classes of SURF-D-MAJOR AND MINOR contours for creating the 3d site model.

1) first thing was to select the polygons and turn them into 3d polys...otherwise...no site model will be created.

2) With a site like this where the site is pretty large you need to be very careful not to reduce the 3d polygon vertices too much because the can end up crossing over each other, so when you 'validate 3d site data' you will get a lot of error messages where the 3d polys have crossed over, and in turn, need to spend the time to reshape the 3d polys so they DON'T cross each other.

3) Other than that,  the 3d site model was created very quickly. I threw on a simple texture that is made up of grass and wildflowers, just for grins. Mainly because I detest that lime green default texture that appears when you create a site model....no offense VW  :-)

4) do make sure to set the OPEN GL to at least high, and also make sure to have the 'mesh smoothing crease angle' set to around 80, or the surface of the site model will be  a bit bumpy and ragged.

5) Obviously I did not take any time to use texture beds for the roads, etc.  That is way above my pay grade. :-)

313679271_SITEMODEL.thumb.jpg.e97d993d451e876ee41eac3ec34d5b28.jpg