Connector Arrows

mark4

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @mark4

The minimum length of arrows is controlled by the snap grid setting. So the minimum length is 3 x snap grid + the size of the arrow marker on the end. Unless you have a special reason not to I would always suggest to begin from the standard template and branch out from there.

The sizing and spacing of schematic objects is controlled by the snap grid first because it helps keep things on the grid which looks better, and secondly because that allows you to draw schematics on to-scale drawings such as floor plans using a larger snap grid so that schematic elements look sensible.

Hope that helps. If not please PM me the file in question.

Conrad

Hi @mark4

Thanks for sending me the file - now I see the problem. You need to check ConnectCAD settings. The offsets for Circuit Labels (General tab) have been set to 20 grid spaces. So ConnectCAD is dutifully putting the connector type and the circuit number 20 grid away from the socket. Set these to 1 grid and things will look a lot nicer.

Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year

Conrad

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of Arrow Connections....

I've been working on drawing up lots and lots of fiber cable and associated OTPs.

I'm curious, is there a way for me to use 1 arrow connection for multiple circuit lines? For example lets say I have a 24 strand fiber cable, in ConnectCAD I would like to show each strand landing at it's respective port on an OTP but for clarity I am bussing the circuits together to better indicate that this is indeed just 1 cable.

Here is an example of what I'm thinking (this is mocked up). My thinking is that I would like the ability to have 1 arrow connection for all strands in that cable, and the arrow text would indicate what OTP it is landing at and the associated ports.

image.thumb.png.cccbe565a387175cd910e9ffd6d5aff6.png

Currently using arrow connections looks like this. At first glance this could be mistaken for 24 different cables.

image.thumb.png.ad4a44665d317472389e49c013a6b22b.png

Any tips for using arrow connections on multi-circuit cables?

On 12/18/2020 at 3:28 AM, Conrad Preen said:

Hi Conrad,

So, I am still struggling with this distance thing regarding Cable #'s and Connector Types. When I get the cable #'s to look good (not crushed up against the device), then my arrows to sockets are insanely long. Is there way to adjust these independent from each other? The attached pic is with the General Settings for both Connector and Cable # at "20". Even at 20, the cables numbers are still way too close to the connector type. For me, the correct setting is about "60", but that makes the arrows to sockets extend miles outside the drawing area. I guess I don't understand why Cable # and Connector Type offsets affect the length of a line when using a socket. In the previous version, you could simply drag this line to any length you wanted. But now the line is tied to these offsets.1056212316_ScreenShot2021-01-18at3_36_26PM.thumb.png.f3c5c3d9ce297deadcd188542d21f702.png498643498_ScreenShot2021-01-18at3_19_45PM.thumb.png.0b0b47f3947a193cd55bfeada46b45f4.png

On 12/18/2020 at 3:28 AM, Conrad Preen said:

Hi @mark4

Thanks for sending me the file - now I see the problem. You need to check ConnectCAD settings. The offsets for Circuit Labels (General tab) have been set to 20 grid spaces. So ConnectCAD is dutifully putting the connector type and the circuit number 20 grid away from the socket. Set these to 1 grid and things will look a lot nicer.

Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year

Conrad

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Daniel Dickman said:

Hey Conrad,

Another connector arrow questions for ya.

I've noticed that If I add a signal type to an arrow circuit, that the direction of the arrow flips. See below..  Why does adding a signal type change the arrow?

image.thumb.png.3a63fcb3213bd5f1fecc0035304e0f2f.png

image.thumb.png.d5f4c148ec88c206981fbda080f36bb7.png

Hello Daniel,

When the signal is empty the arrow is taking the class Sys-Circuits. It seems like this class has some messed up markers. If you edit the class and select the correct markers for it they will point correctly.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Hi Conrad,

I must stress again that  "playing with the grid spacing" isn't a viable option. The LENGTH of the lines is tied to spacing of text from devices. Referring again to the pics I sent, see how the circuit number and signal type text are sitting on top of each other? In order to put some separation between the two, I have to use a grid spacing of like "60". But at 60, the line is insanely long and can't be manually adjusted. In previous versions the grid spacing didn't affect line lengths. As it works now, drawings look less than professional. What I am doing wrong? Or what can be changed in software to correct this?

Edited by mark4

Hi @mark4

These screen shots are from your file showing the settings I've used and the results. All I did was to change the Circuit and Connector Type Offsets. To me these look eminently satisfactory. What seems to you to be wrong with this?

You know Mark, we have known each other as developer and customer for years now and we have met online on several occasions. And I think you will agree that I have addressed every issue you have raised with me. So can I ask you kindly to avoid remarks like "less than professional", these do not really help our communications. They simply leave myself and my team feeling less motivated to assist you.

Conrad

Screenshot 2021-01-29 at 19.09.08.png

Screenshot 2021-01-29 at 19.08.53.png

Screenshot 2021-01-29 at 19.09.33.png

Screenshot 2021-01-29 at 19.07.16.png

I have only been adjusting the Offset, not the Grid Spacing. Let me work with that to see if that corrects this. Yes, what I see in your pic looks great. I am just trying to identify what is "off' in my settings.

As for my comment, I think it was taken a little out of context. I'm sure we could both agree that having text crushed together does make drawings look bad. That is all I meant. And I know this can be resolved in settings. I was certainly not implying the product, your support and that of Vectorworks, or anything else was unprofessional. You (and Vectorworks Support in general) have been and remain awesome to work with and provide first-class support. You are responsive and helpful, even as I struggle to learn or use the software. Please know I had NO intension of offending anyone in my comment. 

• Like 1

All of the arrow connections follow a direction of signal flow which is fine. 

Sometimes you may draw a connection backwards, how do we flip this cable direction?

Also you can adjust the length of an arrow connection by the handle (for each cable individually). 

Do we have a method of selecting a set of arrow connections and adjusting the length so that they all align? (this is currently quite painful). Especially if you take sometihng in or out of a rack etc and it resets everything (or some of the cables) that you previously aligned.

Also when selecting large numbers of arrow connections on a single page it will highlight all devices but will sometimes detatch arrow connections or datatags which would normally move relatively with the device. (Annoyingly its not always that this happens).

1 hour ago, SamWilliams said:

Sometimes you may draw a connection backwards, how do we flip this cable direction?

@SamWilliams looks like you are reading my things to consider list... I have been thinking about that one. It's weirdly harder to implement than you would think. But it's still on my list 🙂

Do we have a method of selecting a set of arrow connections and adjusting the length so that they all align? (this is currently quite painful). Especially if you take sometihng in or out of a rack etc and it resets everything (or some of the cables) that you previously aligned.

That's going on my list.

Also when selecting large numbers of arrow connections on a single page it will highlight all devices but will sometimes detatch arrow connections or datatags which would normally move relatively with the device. (Annoyingly its not always that this happens).

This is a question of getting a reproducible case. Thanks for the heads-up

Conrad