@Bernat  can you be a bit more specific about the end result of what you wish to create.? I get the two people holding a blanket thing, but is that what you want to end up with....two people holding a blanket 😉 

perhaps you can post an image/photo of what you wish to end up with?

I have been pretty successful creating these types of shapes without even using the subdivision surface tools. 

5 hours ago, Kevin K said:

@Bernat  can you be a bit more specific about the end result of what you wish to create.? I get the two people holding a blanket thing, but is that what you want to end up with....two people holding a blanket 😉 

perhaps you can post an image/photo of what you wish to end up with?

I have been pretty successful creating these types of shapes without even using the subdivision surface tools. 

HI 🙂  Obviously not! 🙂  What I am trying to do is to design a huge gauze 18 x16  m that hangs in different horizontal pipes hanging in different highs , in each pipe, there is an x number of magnetic load/release devices that have clamps that hold the gauze.
I can make it schematic version of course, but I would like to make it more dynamic to visualize the wrinkles caused of the clamps and the curve that the fabric gets in between pipes.
Hope you understand what I mean.
By the way, the tutorial link you shared with me is superb! I think it describes what I'm looking for, I'm discovering how this tool behaves. But I'm not there yet!

Bernat

That explanation does help.

how about this....within the 18m x 16 m space,  could you show/ extrude the horizontal pipes at their various locations? 
That would set things up as a framework for hanging the gauze cloth. Then perhaps post that file here with the horizontal pipes.

Then myself and perhaps others could have a go at creating the look you want and describe how we did it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Kevin K said:

Bernat

That explanation does help.

how about this....within the 18m x 16 m space,  could you show/ extrude the horizontal pipes at their various locations? 
That would set things up as a framework for hanging the gauze cloth. Then perhaps post that file here with the horizontal pipes.

Then myself and perhaps others could have a go at creating the look you want and describe how we did it.

Gauze.pdf

Gauze.vwx

Sorry a bit of a typo in my last response.  I meant to say I do not have VW 2021.

Also. looking at your PDF file:

1) I can't determine the spacing, vertical and horizontally between the pipes ?

2) what is the diameter and the material finish of the pipes? 

3) It appears that you just drew the pipes and the gauze/cloth in 2d? 

4) not quite sure how the clamps interface/are attached to the pipes?  You did show the clamps in detail 2, bit it was sort of hard to determine exactly how the pipes and clamps work together.

Other than that, your schematic isometric view is helpful!  :-)

On 12/17/2020 at 2:42 PM, Bernat said:

is there a way to simulate how the fabric behaves?

I immediately had to think about Antonio Gaudi and his Sagrada Familia church in Bracelona.

He used up side down Models, with weights, to find the static form of the arches.

th?id=OIP.fysZ8n7yCVZ0cf6lDwuz7wHaFj%26o

In your case, hang a Towel between 2 sticks or lines and take a photo of the Towel's

curve from a side view. Use it as an underlay in VW to estimate and sketch the curve.

AFAIK the form of the curve will always be the same, but may be scaled in height and

width.

You can draw curves, convert them into NURBS Curves, create NURBS Surfaces or by

Thicken even create complex Volumes from it.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Kevin K said:

Sorry a bit of a typo in my last response.  I meant to say I do not have VW 2021.

Also. looking at your PDF file:

1) I can't determine the spacing, vertical and horizontally between the pipes ?

2) what is the diameter and the material finish of the pipes? 

3) It appears that you just drew the pipes and the gauze/cloth in 2d? 

4) not quite sure how the clamps interface/are attached to the pipes?  You did show the clamps in detail 2, bit it was sort of hard to determine exactly how the pipes and clamps work together.

Other than that, your schematic isometric view is helpful!  🙂

I realize that the diameter of the pipes is not correct, but in the end the important thing is how to modify the fabric!

Gauze_2020.vwx

2 hours ago, zoomer said:

I immediately had to think about Antonio Gaudi and his Sagrada Familia church in Bracelona.

He used up side down Models, with weights, to find the static form of the arches.

th?id=OIP.fysZ8n7yCVZ0cf6lDwuz7wHaFj%26o

In your case, hang a Towel between 2 sticks or lines and take a photo of the Towel's

curve from a side view. Use it as an underlay in VW to estimate and sketch the curve.

AFAIK the form of the curve will always be the same, but may be scaled in height and

width.

You can draw curves, convert them into NURBS Curves, create NURBS Surfaces or by

Thicken even create complex Volumes from it.

I extrude arc curves, do you think is better with nurbs?

• Like 1

Bernat

Thanks for taking the time to export the file as a 2020 version.

In my view, for what you are wishing to achieve,  nurbs are a good start for several reasons. I can explain later.

Let me have a look at your file and I will get back to you.

I believe you are in Sweden, so I think it is about 1:20 am at the moment?   Why you up so late?  :-)

Bernat

Take a look at the attached PDF.  I think it will give you a good option to do what you wish.

Again, this approach is what I believe to be the easiest to achieve your goals with the gauze/fabric. 

Maybe Zoomer and a few others here can put in their two cents. :-)

I reworked your VW  file a bit to use a slightly different approach to what I think is what you wanted to accomplish. I attached that file as well.

You may have questions about all this, but spend a little time with the VW file I attached and you will probably get the gist.

** DISCLAIMER

I just did the basics tweaking of the shapes of the gauze panels. I DID NOT GET INTO CREATING LOTS OF WRINKLES ON THE FABRIC.!!

You can do this but it will require more 3d vertices and a few other tricks.

You will note I added a new class and a few saved views, as well as a couple new sheet layers. I also increased the DPI on the sheet layers so the output isn't so fuzzy.  

Honestly, the way you are hanging the fabric panels, factoring in gravity and a bit of physics, I don't think you will  have a lot of actual wrinkles......depending on the actual material, but you will have some slight undulation of the fabric, as I had done in the file.

Obviously much of this will depend on the thickness of the fabric.

Gauze 2.pdf

Gauze 2 V 2020.vwx

• Like 2

Hi,

thanks for your example, this was a good point of view, I'll dig on the Nurbs curves and the loft surfaces. I now understand that this workflow makes it cleaner and easier.

The fabric is a silk and will be released from each pipe at a given moment and at the end of the show, the fabric will hung on just one pipe. That's when nurbs surfaces will give me a good help for the wrinkles that will appear!
I'll post my file after experimenting with this tool!

Ps. My the circadian rhythm has got bananas, we have just few sun hours this month and this year has been cloudy since november. That's why  I'm staying late at night ...too late 🙂

On 12/19/2020 at 3:55 AM, Kevin K said:

Bernat

Take a look at the attached PDF.  I think it will give you a good option to do what you wish.

Again, this approach is what I believe to be the easiest to achieve your goals with the gauze/fabric. 

Maybe Zoomer and a few others here can put in their two cents. 🙂

I reworked your VW  file a bit to use a slightly different approach to what I think is what you wanted to accomplish. I attached that file as well.

You may have questions about all this, but spend a little time with the VW file I attached and you will probably get the gist.

** DISCLAIMER

I just did the basics tweaking of the shapes of the gauze panels. I DID NOT GET INTO CREATING LOTS OF WRINKLES ON THE FABRIC.!!

You can do this but it will require more 3d vertices and a few other tricks.

You will note I added a new class and a few saved views, as well as a couple new sheet layers. I also increased the DPI on the sheet layers so the output isn't so fuzzy.  

Honestly, the way you are hanging the fabric panels, factoring in gravity and a bit of physics, I don't think you will  have a lot of actual wrinkles......depending on the actual material, but you will have some slight undulation of the fabric, as I had done in the file.

Obviously much of this will depend on the thickness of the fabric.

Gauze 2.pdf 1.75 MB · 8 downloads

Gauze 2 V 2020.vwx 4.21 MB · 3 downloads

Hi,

thanks for your example, this was a good point of view, I'll dig on the Nurbs curves and the loft surfaces. I now understand that this workflow makes it cleaner and easier.

The fabric is a silk and will be released from each pipe at a given moment and at the end of the show, the fabric will hung on just one pipe. That's when nurbs surfaces will give me a good help for the wrinkles that will appear!
I'll post my file after experimenting with this tool!

PS: My the circadian rhythm has got bananas, we have just few sun hours this month and this year has been cloudy since november. That's why  I'm staying late at night ...too late 🙂

Edited by Bernat

Ohhhhhh.....so, based upon what you just described, if I understand correctly, there is only one piece of the silk, not individual pieces,  between each of the pipes, as I had shown in the file I created ?  And, at the end of the show, which pipe will the silk be hanging on?  Also, the silk material....will it have a specific color ?  

12 minutes ago, Kevin K said:

Ohhhhhh.....so, based upon what you just described, if I understand correctly, there is only one piece of the silk, not individual pieces,  between each of the pipes, as I had shown in the file I created ?  And, at the end of the show, which pipe will the silk be hanging on?  Also, the silk material....will it have a specific color ?  

Yes exactly is just a piece of fabric in a grey color not yet determined. Att the end the fabric will hang from the highest pipe, that will rise att the same distance as the fabric , around 16 m.

Edited by Bernat

Ok, Got it. 
And during the show, will there be any sort of fans, or wind machine directed at the silk fabric so it will be moving around a little, or will the silk just pretty much be stationary? 
It almost seems like a short animation would be a good idea, so you could see how the silk fabric would be released from the pipes!    🙂

Bernat

By the way, since the silk fabric is in fact one piece, regarding lofting a surface from the nurbs curves, you should select the individual nurbs curves and then select the “ Compose” option which will take the individual nurbs curves and turn them into one nurbs curve.  Do that for each side, them use the loft surface command which will create one nurbs surface for the silk fabric.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Kevin K said:

Ok, Got it. 
And during the show, will there be any sort of fans, or wind machine directed at the silk fabric so it will be moving around a little, or will the silk just pretty much be stationary? 
It almost seems like a short animation would be a good idea, so you could see how the silk fabric would be released from the pipes!    🙂

Indeed 🙂 ...An animation in the visualizer program. One day will this happen!

9 hours ago, Kevin K said:

Bernat

By the way, since the silk fabric is in fact one piece, regarding lofting a surface from the nurbs curves, you should select the individual nurbs curves and then select the “ Compose” option which will take the individual nurbs curves and turn them into one nurbs curve.  Do that for each side, them use the loft surface command which will create one nurbs surface for the silk fabric.

Aha so if I want to change the curve I just double click and edit the composed nurbs?... I'll try.