Landscape Area Style question

Question 1.

I'm creating some custom landscape area styles and running into a weird issue.

With all the styles I create the 'class' in the OIP is greyed out.

It doesn't seem to matter if I start with a duplicated VW style or a "new plugin style from unstyled plugin". 

In the example below:

1. I made a LA with the tool set to 'turf' - the class is changeable in the OIP.
  2. I 'replace' the style with 'test 2' - the class changes to L-Line-35' and in greyed out. Note,  I can't find a reference to that class anywhere in the editor.
  3. I replace with test 3 - the class changes to 'none' and is greyed out. Can't find the 'none' class anywhere either.
  4. I replace with 'white silver mix' - the class stays the same and the class is changeable.

1644328241_landscapeareawhitesilver.thumb.jpg.ff8482fe6d8377c21b760b6ff349ace3.jpg

I've looked thought the style editor and can't find what I've done differently besides change the plant list and components.

Question 2.

I made another test style by duplicating the 'turf' style and it keep changing the 2D fill to green - where is this setting?

Every time I make an edit to this style it causes all the LA to turn green... 

I've had something similar happen, and usually the class can only get selected if the "landscape style" is "unstyled" in my case.  I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve with the classes, but for me I wanted to assign some landscape areas with a different class so that I could break up the plant lists when doing a schedule using the Worksheet tool.    

Somewhat unrelated, I've also been trying to understand the "Texture Bed" options in the "3D Display" section of the Landscape Area OIP.  I selected it, but can't figure out how you tell it what texture you want applied.  I tried assigning a class and selecting a rendering texture that I want it to apply in the "Render" tab, but I can't seem to get any control over it.  What happens is an arbitrary texture seems to get applied.  Attached is an example of a repeating texture with the silhouette of tiny men (which is something I had used to create an image prop).  Rather than the grass texture I wanted to apply, all you can see is the damn tiny men underneath the plant image props within the landscape area.

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 5.12.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 5.05.21 PM.png

Edited by loretta.at.large
  • Like 1

@loretta.at.large 

In this case I had just created the LA on the wrong class and wanted to reassign it!

That sent me down the whole rabbit hole trying to figure out what I had done to have the 'class' input greyed out in some LA styles but not others.

I just want know so I don't do it again...

But I do use classes as ways of separating landscape areas in planter boxes vs in the ground vs meadows.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 12/17/2020 at 1:56 AM, hollister design Studio said:

Question 1.

I'm creating some custom landscape area styles and running into a weird issue.

With all the styles I create the 'class' in the OIP is greyed out.

It doesn't seem to matter if I start with a duplicated VW style or a "new plugin style from unstyled plugin". 

In the example below:

1. I made a LA with the tool set to 'turf' - the class is changeable in the OIP.
  2. I 'replace' the style with 'test 2' - the class changes to L-Line-35' and in greyed out. Note,  I can't find a reference to that class anywhere in the editor.
  3. I replace with test 3 - the class changes to 'none' and is greyed out. Can't find the 'none' class anywhere either.
  4. I replace with 'white silver mix' - the class stays the same and the class is changeable.

1644328241_landscapeareawhitesilver.thumb.jpg.ff8482fe6d8377c21b760b6ff349ace3.jpg

I've looked thought the style editor and can't find what I've done differently besides change the plant list and components.

Thanks for reporting it!

It is actually an issue with the Style popup widget, filed as a bug VB-176033 (Styles: Creating a new Plug-in Style from unstyled instance sets Class Widget disabled) and hopefully will be fixed in VW 2021 service pack 3.

• Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 12/17/2020 at 1:56 AM, hollister design Studio said:

Question 2.

I made another test style by duplicating the 'turf' style and it keep changing the 2D fill to green - where is this setting?

Every time I make an edit to this style it causes all the LA to turn green... 

The graphic attributes are actually not styled and they can be changed from the Attributes pane.

• 2 months later...
On 12/24/2020 at 2:18 AM, loretta.at.large said:

Somewhat unrelated, I've also been trying to understand the "Texture Bed" options in the "3D Display" section of the Landscape Area OIP.  I selected it, but can't figure out how you tell it what texture you want applied. 

@loretta.at.large  Have you tried assigning a material to your landscape area? or perhaps checking the Render tab of the OIP?

image.thumb.png.121503df9ef07920842e84a4bafae678.png

Edited by Poot