Center Tool

Kal

Question

22 answers to this question

"right-click on the object to serve as the alignment reference. The alignment reference is locked into place, and the other selected objects are aligned relative to it. Select Align/Distribute from the context menu. The most common align and distribute commands display on a flyout context menu. Select the desired command, or select Align/Distribute to open the Align/Distribute Objects dialog box."

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2021/eng/index.htm#t=VW2021_Guide%2FObjects_edit1%2FAligning_and_distributing_objects.htm

You can use the Align Commands

1. Select all the object/s you want to to Centre
  2. Right-click on the item you want the other items/s to centre on
  3. select Align > Align Centre or Align Middle and the other item/s will centre on the item you clicked on.

Hope that's what you were looking for.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, E|FA said:

"right-click on the object to serve as the alignment reference. The alignment reference is locked into place, and the other selected objects are aligned relative to it. Select Align/Distribute from the context menu.

Is this new - or an old treasure I didn't know?

16 minutes ago, Kal said:

This does not seem to work. I tested on 2 object, just a circle and a sink. I selected the object went to Modify - Align - Align-Distribute.

Are you sure you didn't click on Align/Distribute Leader Lines by mistake....

Right-Click on the items and follow the Contextual menu

I added the Align/Distribute on the Context menu for Architect. It appeared on my right c-click for 5 seconds and disappeared. Why would I have to select both object is only one object needs to be centered? For example. I want to center this sink on the top wall.

This one shows one object and it still does not allow Align.2099275819_Aligntool4.thumb.png.7c337cb6520eaeb027861a1990be7f1d.pngd it still dooes not provide the option,

I am in VW2020 + I have the Align/Distribute commands in my right-click context menu but only when two applicable objects are selected + it doesn't seem like it works with a wall? I can align a symbol with a rectangle for example but not with a wall.

But to be honest, aligning something like a sink centrally on a wall is so easy by just using the smart points or whatever we call them, you can easily hover the cursor to find centre of both then just drag it into position. Or use move by points

BTW I didn't know those commands were there so thanks for pointing that out - much quicker than always going to Modify menu!

Edited by Tom W.

I think there are two issues.

1.  You are trying to align something that is inserted into a wall.  You won't be able to even select the inserted object and a non inserted object to get the ball rolling.

2. I've never  used the Compartment Sink tool.  But when trying to align objects with a compartment sink not inserted into a wall it goes BONKERS.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, michaelk said:

You are trying to align something that is inserted into a wall.

I missed that.  Ignore my previous comment.  I'm not sure I see the benefit of inserting the sink into the wall.  I would center the sink on the wall by pulling it away from the wall, turn off the "Wall Insertion" option for the symbol, and place at the center point using the smart points.

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2021/eng/index.htm#t=VW2021_Guide%2FSymbols%2FThe_Symbol_Insertion_tool.htm

I didn't realise it was an 'in wall' symbol either. That being said the symbol I choose to test it on wasn't so should have worked but for some unknown reason it didn't. However I drew a load more walls - a variety of different styles - and it worked on all of them so not sure what the issue was with the first wall: I have a file with several identical walls + the command works on all of them except one...

Anyway it is a good use of the align command I hadn't realised it could be used this way so thanks @E|FA + @markdd for enlightening me!

Thanks for all the feedback. I am usually placing different types of objects in a space whether it be a sink, furniture, door, symbol, or square. I may have to center that object whether it is in the middle of a room or against a wall. I may want to center it on the wall or on another object. The smart points do not always work for me correctly. I use another program, Chief Architect" that has a tool called "Center Object" which is extremely easy to use by just selecting the object then the tool then the next object or wall. Here it does not matter what type oif object it is. This is why I asked but it seems as this option is not a simple solution in Vectorworks.

The smart points can be a bit fiddly but do you know you can, with an object selected, hover the cursor over for example one corner of a room until the red square forms over the point, then do the same at the diametrically opposite corner, then a smart edge will form between the two points with the halfway + quarter-way points marked on it allowing you to place the object you've still got selected on the centre point + therefore in the centre of the room. Sounds more long-winded than it actually is. And works between any two points so v useful for centering objects in space in relation to two other objects.

The other tool that's v useful for positioning objects accurately is Move By Points which is well worth spending some time getting to know if you haven't already. It has various different modes + can be quite confusing initially but becomes increasingly useful the more time you spend with it.