dwg importing

seeker

How do you import a dwg file so that the scale is correct?

I set the layer scale to thescale of the dwg file and when I import and set

2.54 dwg units=1"

manual scale with 1/8" on paper=1' in drawing

Do so gives me a custom scale in vectorworks which is 1:9.xxxx

and not 1:96.00 if I was going 1/8" scale.

--Nghia

Try This: Open a blank file, don't modify anything, open the import dwg dialogue and set it for the dwg format that you are importing.

In the conversion scale, set 1 autocad unit to 12 VW units for the conversion of feet to inches.

Then set the scale manually to 1" = 8'. This should automatically import the drawing at 1/8 scale.

Hopefully this works, I've found that at times it doesn't. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

I have found a reliable way to import DWG at the proper scale, when I can remember the sequence. The following may help you.

First you will want to know whether the imported drawing is in paperspace or model space-ie whether it is scaled or full size. Then become familiar with the scale ratios by looking at the "scale" window under the layer set up.

When importing, VW asks if you want it to scale automatically. >NO. The translation continues and VW opens a window showing estimated scale ratio which is an approximation. in the dialog box, type in an exact ratio which is closest to the estimated.

I hope this process is improved in version 9!!!