Disable 2018 Macbook Pro (and newer) Top Row Keyboard

Todd Drucker

Question

Hello world,

Nice to be back. I've been using vectorworks for both 2D drawings, 3D modeling, and BIM for 3+ years.

Is there an easy setting to disable / modify the top row of icons on the new macbook pro keyboard. Too many times I find myself tapping an object that switch my screen from 2D to orthogonal, which can slow down a machine, when drawing maps and buildings. 

While I sometimes find it easy to tap & scroll through functions, too many times, I touch an icon as the keys are not tactical, but touch base.

Looking forward towards the communities thoughts. 

4 answers to this question

Welcome back,

Rather than disabling the top row from your keyboard try to reassign / remove assignment of those those Keyboard Shortcuts in a custom Workspace.

Tools>Workspaces>Workspaces>Duplicate your favorite workspace and track down those keyboards shortcuts that are causing the issues and delete them.

@bcd 

TLDR - Apple's new keyboard is not ergonomic

Thank you for taking me to the workspace menu, but I don't see the top row of keyboard called out It replaced F1-F12. I included photos of what it looks like when I open Vectorworks and what it looks like when I no application selected

I would like the top row to remain with simple apple functions (esc, brightness,  toggle screen, volume). 

If these "smart" buttons were disabled, my workflow would be enhanced as I access tools with shortcuts and icons, not the smart keyboard. 

Thank you!

IMG-1416.thumb.jpg.2f002921ba612d1027be61954dbbd756.jpgIMG-1415.thumb.jpg.6624d276916e55d393e3099b6186c2fd.jpg