Wall Linework Missing

CiaMariaPia

I have an an old existing bearing wall building with a long wall composed of masonry.  Due to bearing conditions and some other eccentricities, the wall changes thickness as it travels the length of the building.  One side of the wall is in the same plane the entire way and all of the thickness changes are expressed on the opposite side of the wall. 

119697025_VW-MissingWallFace.thumb.JPG.e2cb05ec5bb80e3117999d457c68a9f5.JPG

Problem: Each time the wall thickness changes, there is a gap in the wall line between the face of the thicker section and the face of the thinner section.  How do I get this short, missing "face" to show up in plan?

@CiaMariaPia if you have drawn the wall in your screen shot as three separate walls, when you turn on the caps it will look (in top/plan) like the middle option below:

1016828770_Screenshot2020-12-13at16_20_47.thumb.png.dd332a8febd757a421a3fedd2fcf38ae.png

You might be better to instead draw one wall + use the AEC>Create Wall Recess... command to create a 'feature in wall' as shown in the third option.

Also in the AEC menu you have the Pillar... + Create Wall Projection... commands which are also useful for creating irregularly-shaped walls

Tom

You described it perfectly. One thing though....if in your middle example you 'send to back' the flanking thicker walls it has the same look as using the feature in wall.

Personally I vote for using the feature because you have one continuous wall.

You may need to explain a bit further to CiaMariaPia how to actually accomplish the recess in wall technique. :-)

Thanks to both Tom and Kevin some ideas for me to try.  My building has a couple of different flavors of this condition.  I only illustrated 1 because it was easy to grab a screen shot of that particular spot (2 offsets fairly close together).  I have a number of conditions where there is only a single offset and the next offset is 20'-30' away, sometimes on the other side of an intersecting wall.  I also have a condition where the wall keeps getting thinner as it steps from 16" thick to 4" thick in 4" increments over a distance of 20 feet or so.  But you've shown me a couple of ideas and I'll start trying them out.  Thanks again and have a great week!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You're welcome for the tip!

2 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Although I imagine if your wall has components then you'd need to go down the wall projection route...

It should still work, but I've seen some cases (a bug) where the wall end shoots off into space.

Here's an example of it when it works as expected:

image.png

Thanks Matt yes but with feature in wall you can wrap the components. Although I remember it being quite fiddly to get looking right... So if you have a wall recess - an alcove  - you can show drywall on the reveals. Although I think if it's not full height you don't get the wrapping on the horizontal surfaces - the soffit + sill - only the vertical reveals.

But the fact is, more often than not if you have an irregularly shaped wall it will be a monolithic single component affair (an old wall) so my point is a fairly minor one!

29 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Thanks Matt yes but with feature in wall you can wrap the components. Although I remember it being quite fiddly to get looking right... So if you have a wall recess - an alcove  - you can show drywall on the reveals. Although I think if it's not full height you don't get the wrapping on the horizontal surfaces - the soffit + sill - only the vertical reveals.

But the fact is, more often than not if you have an irregularly shaped wall it will be a monolithic single component affair (an old wall) so my point is a fairly minor one!

Ah, right.  Good point.  Wrapping components in cases like this is an issue we'd  like to address moving forward.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

To have really good control of wall component wrapping in as many circumstances as poss would be phenomenal

On our roadmap:  

7 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

And also with roofs: so you can treat each roof edge independently

Yes.  This is on our radar.

• Love 1
  • 1 year later...

12 hours ago, zoomer said:

Is the recess maybe driven by the recess geometry line styles (?)

(Or coming from overall Wall line styles ?)

That was my first guess, but no. 

First line is finishing-concrete-finishing. Second line is concrete-finishing. No issue with this one. Weird, isn't it ? See below. 

1173385514_Capturedcran2022-09-2908_35_11.thumb.png.2dc5d8f0caf0cb32bb0220a454a041b9.png