How to control two roof faces intersection ?

Stéphane

Question

Hello, 

I have two roof faces - highlighted in orange. I want them to intersect on my red intersection line as shown below. In other words, I want my edges A and B to be tilted - not vertical. Is there a way to do this ? The goal is to have nice continuous components in Section VP.

I would appreciate your advices.  

545053254_Capturedcran2020-12-1110_47_52.thumb.png.5ee8f8055fd9eb553cf6ec1f9320c3b1.png

1 hour ago, line-weight said:

I wish that *all* multicomponent layered objects would let you choose to adjust the geometry of each layer independently and manually if you wanted. That includes walls.

An example where the wall tool falls apart - a dormer cheek, where you might want the inner layer to extend between floor and ceiling (and be rectangular in elevation) and where you want the outer layer to run between eaves and roof pitch line (so be triangular in elevation). Or any number of variations on that theme. At this point, I just give up on the wall tool, and have to build it manually from directly modelled objects.

Same sort of situation arises with roofs too. Sometimes you just want to tell VW manually where each component needs to extend to.

As soon as you give up and build the thing out of directly modelled objects, of course you lose all the convenience of easily cutting window openings through multiple layers.

I agree 100%. I ended up creating quite fiddly auto hybrids to go in my window + door reveals so that they looked correct in 3D + 2D. 

And presumably the other disadvantage of not using multicomponent objects for all the main parts of the building is that you lose the capacity to easily report on material quantities? Using CompAreaByName or CompVolumeByName functions in worksheets for example? And impacts on ability to use energos too I presume?

52 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

And presumably the other disadvantage of not using multicomponent objects for all the main parts of the building is that you lose the capacity to easily report on material quantities? Using CompAreaByName or CompVolumeByName functions in worksheets for example? And impacts on ability to use energos too I presume?

I don't know, I don't attempt to use either of those features.

2 hours ago, line-weight said:

I wish that *all* multicomponent layered objects would let you choose to adjust the geometry of each layer independently and manually if you wanted. That includes walls.

Indeed!

The ability to stretch each component to where you want it would be a winner feature.

1 hour ago, Tom W. said:

Hi @Stéphane I mean whether you have the roof components all ending square with the roof edge or whether you have some of them offset outwards or inwards. The last column:

886960760_Screenshot2020-12-16at11_44_51.thumb.png.6fb5098dd747658e25b0a564446a2e3a.png

I think you are using French language software so perhaps translates as something different?

Now, I understand. I have no special edge conditions... Everything ends square. No offsets. 

Look, if it doesn't even work properly with simple settings, why would I want to make it even more complicated ? 

Edited by Stéphane

Here's yet another roof face problem. See the attached file.

Look at the sheet layer with the section on it. For me it looks like this:

763910408_ScreenShot2020-12-16at15_45_33.thumb.jpg.12216f256fad08146834000d777d3deb.jpg

You can see I've labelled two roof face objects.

Now look at the saved view "3d view":

777625917_ScreenShot2020-12-16at15_46_35.thumb.jpg.8961434fb991853e442fdb26613196ab.jpg

The roof face objects are not there. They exist in the section but not in the 3d view. They aren't visible in top-plan view either. That remains the case with all classes and layers set to visible.

These are objects that previously existed - then they just disappeared. I didn't delete them. Now, I can't actually get rid of them from the section, because I can't select them.

[edit to add: I have now got rid of them by tools>custom modification>select by type=roof face, move them to a temporary layer, then delete that layer]

This is in VW2018 and I don't know if this will replicate in later versions.

At present my feeling is that the roof face object is unusable. I'm certainly going to stop using them altogether in this project.

ghost_roof.vwx

Edited by line-weight
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 hours ago, line-weight said:

Here's yet another roof face problem. See the attached file.

Look at the sheet layer with the section on it. For me it looks like this:

763910408_ScreenShot2020-12-16at15_45_33.thumb.jpg.12216f256fad08146834000d777d3deb.jpg

You can see I've labelled two roof face objects.

Now look at the saved view "3d view":

777625917_ScreenShot2020-12-16at15_46_35.thumb.jpg.8961434fb991853e442fdb26613196ab.jpg

The roof face objects are not there. They exist in the section but not in the 3d view. They aren't visible in top-plan view either. That remains the case with all classes and layers set to visible.

These are objects that previously existed - then they just disappeared. I didn't delete them. Now, I can't actually get rid of them from the section, because I can't select them.

[edit to add: I have now got rid of them by tools>custom modification>select by type=roof face, move them to a temporary layer, then delete that layer]

This is in VW2018 and I don't know if this will replicate in later versions.

At present my feeling is that the roof face object is unusable. I'm certainly going to stop using them altogether in this project.

ghost_roof.vwx

I took a quick look in VW 2021 and this appears to have been resolved.

15 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

I just got some time to check this and it's still an issue in VW 2021.

Bug reported:  VB-175964 Push Pull Tool Sees Geometry of Invisible Wall Components

Thanks for this.

I think you can probably add to that, that the same happens with invisible slab components (I've just noticed this now)

I wonder if this is behind the troubles with the push-pull tool that were first noted at least 4 years ago:

Edited by line-weight
1 hour ago, line-weight said:

Thanks for this.

I think you can probably add to that, that the same happens with invisible slab components (I've just noticed this now)

I wonder if this is behind the troubles with the push-pull tool that were first noted at least 4 years ago:

Thanks for this detail.  I added this to the report.

BTW:  This does not happen with components of Roof and roof Faces.

1 hour ago, Matt Panzer said:

Thanks for this detail.  I added this to the report.

BTW:  This does not happen with components of Roof and roof Faces.

Thanks.

One of my biggest everyday annoyances with VW is the push-pull tool not finding faces when it should. If sorting these things out would improve this, it would make a big difference to the general user experience working in 3d.

On 12/16/2020 at 8:30 PM, Matt Panzer said:

I just got some time to check this and it's still an issue in VW 2021.

Bug reported:  VB-175964 Push Pull Tool Sees Geometry of Invisible Wall Components

On 12/14/2020 at 7:59 PM, Matt Panzer said:

I still see something similar in VW 2021.

Bug submitted:  VB-175913: Roof Face Geometry Snappable for Roof Face in Invisible Class

On 12/16/2020 at 6:46 PM, Matt Panzer said:

I reported the roof joining issues:

VB-175958 Roof Face Joining Issues

Thank you all for your help with attaching files and describing the problems!

@Matt Panzer are you able to give us any update on the above bugs?

None of them appear to have been fixed in VW2021 SP3.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

All I can see is that they're still unresolved bugs.

Thank you for the reply.

I wonder if you could take a look also at this thread:

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/51856-vw-2018-and-vw2021-push-pull-tool-problems-continue/page/3/

On that page I have posted a file where I believe you may be able to replicate the problem I see with the push-pull tool. I haven't managed to get any response from anyone at VW.

It seems to me that the problems with the push-pull tool and the problems covered by the bugs above have something in common. In all cases invisible, or wrong, faces are being selected.

This is such a basic aspect of VW's functionality, it's quite disappointing not to see any evidence of attempts to get it fixed.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, line-weight said:

Thank you for the reply.

I wonder if you could take a look also at this thread:

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/51856-vw-2018-and-vw2021-push-pull-tool-problems-continue/page/3/

On that page I have posted a file where I believe you may be able to replicate the problem I see with the push-pull tool. I haven't managed to get any response from anyone at VW.

It seems to me that the problems with the push-pull tool and the problems covered by the bugs above have something in common. In all cases invisible, or wrong, faces are being selected.

This is such a basic aspect of VW's functionality, it's quite disappointing not to see any evidence of attempts to get it fixed.

I just looked at this and will comment in the thread.

• Like 1
On 12/14/2020 at 7:04 PM, line-weight said:

While we are on the subject of roof faces:

Is there an inconsistency in the way class visibility works, compared with floor slabs and walls, or am I doing something stupid?

For example: if I have classes:

object_wall

object_roof

object_floor

material_A

material_B

- Then I have a wall, with 2 components, one is assigned to material_A and the other to material_B

- I put the wall object in class object_wall

- Then I set class material_A = visible, class material_B = invisible, class object_wall = visible

- I set the wall object to render by component

- Then what appears is the wall, but only with the component set to material_A actually visible.

- Of course, if I set the class object_wall to invisible, nothing appears at all.

But if I follow the same procedure with a roof face object, something different happens.... the component that is supposed to be invisible is visible.

Is that something that someone else can replicate?

Is your issue related to this one maybe ?