timber frame drawing

Can anyone point me in a general direction to figure out how to draw a simple timber frame.

I want to draw a porch with a vaulted roof which will have an exposed timber frame. It will have a 10' x 8' foot print.

Probably too general but hey - can't hurt to see what the boards turn up.

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by buz ottem:

I want to draw a porch with a vaulted roof which will have an exposed timber frame. It will have a 10' x 8' foot print.

If you havenot figured it out by now, extrude squares or rectangles upward to the post height.Then switch to a side or front view and create your bents. You can create one and array it in 3D as a linear array at your required bay spacing. Unless you are trying to create an animation I would not bother to show the joinery.

smithlb gives a simple solution to the simple problem. You can get a bit more sohisticated with "realistic" carpentry features by doing:

After getting the posts extruded, swith to View, Front view (or whichever way the gable end faces) and create a beam rectangle at the top of a post. Then extrude it and check it for location by viewing the other sides and moving using the ruler (for figuring distances) and the Move 3D command to shove it into desired location.

Switch back to gable end view and use the double lne tool set to the rafter depth and run the rafter wild past the seat both at the overhang and beyond where the ridge will be. Use polygons as sawblades in conjunction with the clip surface tool to make the plumb cuts at the ridge and overhang ends as well as the "birdsmouth" over the timber. Then Extrude the shape created, mirror to make both sides of the roof. Switch to plan view and use the linear array feature to make all the rafers you need. Finally - you can use the 3D ploygon or the roof tools to create roof sheathing and roofing materials. I hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Howdy all,

I'm happy to hear people are doing this kind of work with VW. After reading these posts I just wanted to add that getting comfortable with VW Working Planes (Set Working Planes tool, Align Plane tool, Working Planes palette) will greatly facilitate this kind of work. With these tools you can alternately extrude members precisely where you need them without a lot of adjustment, or model parts "on the floor" and then move them into prefect alignment in one step. There are a few undocumented "features" associated with Working Planes, once you get past that working with them is fun.

Geoff Briggs

I & I Design

iandidesign@home.com