Push Pull best practices

Two thing I don't have a handle on.

How do I select a hidden face?

1. I select object I want to push/pull

2. if face is behind I Alt select

3. but if object is hidden by another geometry VW doesn't follow the expected ' select face from selected object, but selects faces from any object. Effectively making it impossible to directly select.

Select Coincident Objects' doesn't seem to be an option here (greyed out in my right click)

What am I missing?

My current work around:

1. Faces B, C, D, and E are automatically highlighted - but the face I want, A, is not.

2. I select B and pull it out

3. I can now select A and push it to snap into position

4. I select B again and push it back to original position.

push-pull-7all.thumb.jpg.2beb7a98386f1cf2cbfcdca8ad391b98.jpg

This often works in a simple situation like the screen grab, but often with interior geometry I have to select object and move them to a "HIDEN' design layer and then move them back.

Plus that's a lot of steps for a simple face edit - simpler method?

Second Question:

1. I 'taper face' a corner face to 45deg

2. I need to  push/pull is into a new position as dimensions have changed.

3. push/pull 'extrude face' and 'move face' both seem to extrude in the direction of the face normals?

How do I  "extrude along edge" to use the 3D vernacular?

145641841_pushpull3.thumb.jpg.51570574d9893cfe77b505f3b723af66.jpg

1 hour ago, hollister design Studio said:

Two thing I don't have a handle on.

1. I select object I want to push/pull

2. if face is behind I Alt select

3. but if object is hidden by another geometry VW doesn't follow the expected ' select face from selected object, but selects faces from any object. Effectively making it impossible to directly select.

Select Coincident Objects' doesn't seem to be an option here (greyed out in my right click)

What am I missing?

My current work around:

1. Faces B, C, D, and E are automatically highlighted - but the face I want, A, is not.

2. I select B and pull it out

3. I can now select A and push it to snap into position

4. I select B again and push it back to original position.

push-pull-7all.thumb.jpg.2beb7a98386f1cf2cbfcdca8ad391b98.jpg

This often works in a simple situation like the screen grab, but often with interior geometry I have to select object and move them to a "HIDEN' design layer and then move them back.

Plus that's a lot of steps for a simple face edit - simpler method?

Second Question:

1. I 'taper face' a corner face to 45deg

2. I need to  push/pull is into a new position as dimensions have changed.

3. push/pull 'extrude face' and 'move face' both seem to extrude in the direction of the face normals?

How do I  "extrude along edge" to use the 3D vernacular?

145641841_pushpull3.thumb.jpg.51570574d9893cfe77b505f3b723af66.jpg

would it make sense to go back to the Taper Face tool, and modify that face back to the desired angle?

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2020 at 12:56 PM, hollister design Studio said:

Some faces can be selected via a view change to expose the face. Note that the spacebar shortcut to temporarily activate the Pan Tool is also a gateway to temporarily activate other options in the Basic Palette. With the PusnPull tool active, hold down the spacebar, click icon in Basic palette to activtate the flyover tool, drag to adjust the view, release the spacebar, continue operation with the PushPull Tool.

-B

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Pat Stanford said:

If you hold down the Option key while using the Push Pull Tool you can select hidden faces.

I do use alt and it often allows me to get at 'hidden' faces.

But with situations (like my first example) where the face is hidden behind another object, the alt key just as often switches focus to the obscuring object and it's back faces....

I was thinking maybe there is a setting I'm missing to keep the push/pull tool focused on the selected object and not allow it to switch?

7 hours ago, axhake said:

Still don't understand why this functionality hasn't been added to VW as part of the main tool set, most other CAD/BIM software have added this capability which is invaluable for situations like this.

I don't get this either - show/hide is a basic part of 3D modeling.

I use that show/hide script Pat uploaded (can't thank you enough for that).

Even though it's a bit 'rough' I use it at least 30 times a day. - and I can't help thinking that if it was 'official' it would be smoother.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

What is 'rough' about it? Perhaps we can fix it up a little.

Works great Pat.

I just meant small workability things.

Like it doesn't autoload with a new file. Again, not a problem with the script, just that an official tool would be part of the workspace.

Or I would like to add to my right click menu (is this already possible?)

Or to the new 'heads up' menu - forgot what we're calling this - which I use all the time too. (had to map this to the '1' key as the spacebar wouldn't work because I'm using a wacom tablet and the cursor can never actually be perfectly still)

And again, I love this script and use it ALL of the time.

Can't thank you enough for this!

In my world, that is called UNDO.  ;-)

It would certainly be possible, but it would mean that rather than just hiding things a list of everything hidden would have to be kept. Takes the script from a single line to probably 100+ lines to make sure to properly handle all the edge cases.

Not something I have time for right now.

But a good idea.

Agreed, show/hide is lightweight and works.

I'm from the old days of UNIX where the philosophy was one tool to do one task, worked flawlessly, the more complex you make something the more chances something will go wrong!

I was thinking "named selection sets" would be it's own tool, Bentley applications have something similar and like show/hide I find it invaluable when working on complex models. Having the capability of recalling a selection set of selected items can speedup one's workflow.