important question

tom_k

thinking of starting using VectorWorks for my

architectural work.

One thing is unclear to me - is it model-centric software, like in other software - you first design 3D model, from which you

get plans, sections, elevations. Or in VW

you work separately on 2D and 3D.

Is there advantages using VW, compared to

high-end 2D program for 2D, and 3D modeler/

renderer for 3D?

Thanks for your reply..

Tom

VW (and VWA, VectorWorks Architect) are both hybrid CAD programs...there are very good 2d drafting tools and there is the capacity to create 3D models with some ease. Some observations from someone still learning the program, though using it now for 1-2 years:

- 3D models are created and can be viewed / rendered as plan, or any perspective or othogonal view (Elevations, Roof/Site Plans, etc.). Sections can be derived from the model. They require work to make them useful drawings, and are not updated. (The positive way of stating this is that the software gives the designer the precise guidelines for the sections / elevations; the designer then fine tunes)

- Models are created via PLAN. I haven't felt much ease in designing or modifying designs in SECTION with VW. This, for an architect used to thinking / working in section as much as plan, is a challenge; a classic case of having to adapt one's thinking / work habits to the software rather than visa / versa.

- People seem to use VW/VWA many ways, some strictly as 2D drafting, others for 3D modeling and rendering, and everywhere inbetween. I LIKE this aspect of the program a lot: It doesn't require the construction of a 3D model, but is developing along those lines. For architectural additions/alterations and work involving more complex or atypical structures, the 3D model paradigm seems unworkable to me. VW/VWA provides traditional tools to work in 2D as well as 3D.

- There is a pretty large architectural user base, lots of architecturally useful features (worksheets, rendering, dtm, redlining, notes...etc) and related software, various kinds of support and discussion.

I suggest checking in on the discussion, and checking archives for:

<VECTORWORKS-L@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM>

Carl

quote:

Originally posted by tom_k:

thinking of starting using VectorWorks for my

architectural work.

One thing is unclear to me - is it model-centric software, like in other software - you first design 3D model, from which you

get plans, sections, elevations. Or in VW

you work separately on 2D and 3D.

Is there advantages using VW, compared to

high-end 2D program for 2D, and 3D modeler/

renderer for 3D?

Thanks for your reply..

Tom

Well i need to ask again...

Give me example on how you typically design

a house. Say i make approximate 3D model.

Now i need a plan(s) - so do i need to measure a model and draw them separately?

What if i have 15-story house and need 15 plans and keep them coordinated?

Well, sections can be drawn separately, but

if it aplies to plans and elevations, thats

no fun..

Tom

Okay, let me try my hand at explaining this. As someone with experience in both MiniCad/VW, and 3D modeling packages such as 3D Studio Max and Maya, I believe I understand what tom_k is asking.

At its core, VW is an architectural CAD package. In other words, when creating a structure in VW, one typically works from plan view, giving objects height and dimension and Z value from the 2D perspective. You can always switch your view and working conditions to 3D, and change parameters of elements via the Object Info palette. However, to create a model in the 3D perspective from the start would be too cumbersome with VW (in my opinion). That is where a package like Max or Maya comes into play. The drawback to high-end 3D modeling packages such as these is that they don't have any of the "built-in" architectural features that most CAD packages have. I'm talking about existing libraries of symbols and plug-in objects such as doors, windows, stairs, etc. In addition, you won't find a Roof tool or a Floor tool in Max or Maya.

Does this provide any helpful info? Maybe I've made the explanation too simplistic, but I tried to approach it from a different angle.

On a final note, I greatly admire the VW/RW package and find it to be an extremely intuitive and fairly efficient software bundle (the renderer still needs quite a bit of work). Understand that my viewpoint is coming from more of a modeling background than an architectural background.

Hope I could help.

Jack Fulmer

Ok, i will simplify my question:

one can have plans, elevations, sections(!?)

put on the sheet and have them 'connected'

to 3D model? (drawings update after change

to 3D model)?

I opened NW_House in demo version of VectorWorks i have, it has all drawings

on 'sheets', i can draw on top of them,

but there's no 3D model?

What about coordination between drawings

(plans, elevations), like i said for example

15-story building?

T.K.

Perhaps re-stating what others have said:

1 - Create model (3d). Work largely in plan. Use VW "layers", horizontal slices of space, to organize the model by floors and roof.

2 - Typical situation, with elements on different layers: To view the model one does a "layerlink", basically referencing in all desired layers into a new layer, where they can be seen in the right relationship to each other and the Z=0 plane. Layerlinks can be any scale, can be drawn upon further, can be added together...similar to paperspace in ACAD.

3 - The model is live and can be viewed from any angle, producing elevations, roof plans, "worm's eye" views. Changes will update. I don't know of any limits to size or height of the model itself. There are no live sections available. The Plan view is the unique section which is available and updatable, really the driver for the model. Note though that the elevations, etc. are not necessarily finished drawings...just depends. The sections are simply cut from the model and may be useful just as cut, or more likely need to be worked on to be useful. They become line or (polyline?)polygon drawings.

I think that's about right.

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

Tom_K, I can't fidure out if you are pulling our legs, or if this is a serious question. I'll assume its genuine, and that you have limited experience with VW. When drawings are connected in a file, we are using whats called layer links. There are many possibilities with the tool, one can have a sheet with plans, elevations, model and sections of the building on it. They are all hot linked, meaning that a change to one is updated to all. Change the plan, and the sections/elevations/model is automatically updated. But the sections/elevations are simply model views, they generally need to be fiddled with to appear as true orthogonal drawings. I usually "convert copy to lines" a view of the model, paste it on the elevation sheet, and trace over it to create a rael elevation (tones, line weights, etc.)

As for your 15 story building, no one would draw each floor if they are duplicated (a typical skyscraper), therfore you would have to fudge a model view with multiple layers for each floor layer linked to the model layer. The CD drawings would use only those floor layers required, unless you're into "blob" design and each floor is different. As I said, if your teasing with your questions this is all wasted. If not I hope I added to the discussion.

As you say: plans, elevations of the model can be linked and updatable. I don't believe there's any way to link/update a model section in VW8.5.2 or VW/VA9.0.

Carl

Originally posted by jfmarch:

Tom_K, I can't fidure out if you are pulling our legs, ...