Viewport Opacity

Is there a way that someone here has come up with to make a viewport have opacity to it?

Basically I have two viewports of the same thing stacked on top of each other.  I want the viewport in the back to be able to have the equivalent of a 30% opacity, all other rendering settings the same.  

Right now I'm playing with render styles to accomplish this but it is not really getting the desired effect.  Anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Matt

23 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

Have you tried applying Image Effects to the viewport and playing with those settings?  That might do the trick.

I tried but there is nothing in the Image Effects for opacity, but I really think there should be at some point because that or just being able to use opacity in the attributes pallet would do the trick.

Matt

21 hours ago, P Retondo said:

You need to create a design layer with "Overlay" transfer mode selected instead of "Paint."  That layer when converted to a .pdf can have an assigned opacity by %, allowing you to vary its transparency.

Well I consider myself a fairly advanced user and I have never really realized this is an option.  Not really what I am looking for but good info.

I am for simplicity sake just looking for something that takes a viewport on a sheet layer and lets me have a viewport at 30% opacity.  I feel like there should be a simpler way to do that then doing that in the design layers etc.  In the end I can do it in a adobe program after the face quickly, but I just have to believe there would be a simple way to do that. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 hours ago, MattG said:

I tried but there is nothing in the Image Effects for opacity, but I really think there should be at some point because that or just being able to use opacity in the attributes pallet would do the trick.

Do you really want to see through the viewport?  It sounds to me you want to "lighten" the rendered viewport.  If that's what you need, then adjusting the Exposure and saturation can do it easily.

image.png

Matt, I don't know what version you are using, but if it is recent, you can turn on GDI+Imaging (VW Preferences, Display tab, last option).  Then you can set the opacity of a 2d object fill in the Attributes Palette.  Placing a white rectangle with opacity around 70% would give the effect of a grayed-out look to the object below.

If you want a viewport that shows object below it, you have to assign a layer transparency (if GDI+Imaging is "on") or assign a transfer mode of "Overlay" to the layer if GDI+Imaging is "off."

Edited by P Retondo