Object/Symbol Libraries

alex.fitch

Hi all,

My firm is new to Vectorworks. Our main clientele is the Veterans Association Medical hospitals, so we are always on the lookout for quality medical supply objects for our models.

I am wondering where you all go to download objects that cant be found in the Resource manager for download. With other programs such as Revit, objects can be readily downloaded from a plethora of websites, but I've not had the same kind of luck with Vectorworks so far. I've also had very poor luck with the BIMObject Tool for Vectorworks 2020, three objects of the four I downloaded had no 3D or 2D geometry and the fourth locked up the program for 45 minutes while I downloaded and afterwards I couldn't find the object at all in my resource manager.

Also, is there a way to convert objects from Revit, ArchiCAD and Sketchup and bring them into Vectorworks? Would they will be schedulable?

Any information or advice you all can give is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by alex.fitch
miss spelling.
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Was this a taboo question to ask? I'm surprised no one has had any input yet. I know that I mentioned looking for medical objects, but I'm finding it difficult to find objects in general for Vectorworks. If I need to convert files from other programs, that is okay, but that does mean a lot of work for the firm. We are still trying to see how viable Vectorworks will be for us as a program and if we have to make our own objects on top of developing a new template, then the firm should take into consideration the hours that will be put into that. often you don't need an object until, well, you need the object, so it can be difficult to invest time into creating objects you don't know how often you will use.

• Like 1

Not a taboo topic, I just don't think there are a lot of people working with medical devices.

You can import objects in almost any format and they will be usable in VW.  Sketchup, Revit, STEP, IGES, DWG, DXF.

The best suggestion would be to import objects into new blank VW files so you don't end up with a bunch of layers/classes you don't want/need. Clean up the objects there and then put them into a library file once you are happy with them in VW.

All of the objects in the attached drawing with the exception of the frame, plates, and pipe (all extrusions) were imported from other file formats. Sorry for the relatively low resolution screen shot.

image.thumb.png.6eaa83797b069eb6a25ce25becd42f9d.png

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...