Texture glitch on solid subtraction

Scook

Hi Folks

I am trying to apply a texture to a solid object. This works as expected and is appropriately scaled (photo 1) until I cut a door way in the object with solid subtraction (photo 2). I have tried extracting the surface but it the texture behaves in a similar way. The tower on the opposite side of the stage worked fine both as a solid and as an extracted nurbs surface so I am at a loss as to why this one is behaving differently (photo 3 & 4). The only perceptible difference between the two is the working tower's base polygon shape is made from two arcs describing a section of a circle whereas the glitching one is an arc leading to a flat surface.

Is there a way to fix this or a better way to create the base geometry?

Cheers

Simon      

Photo 1.png

Photo 2.png

Photo 3.png

Photo 4.png

Edited by Scook

Hi Kevin thanks for the swift response. I haven't tried that, tbh I have tended to steer clear of the architectural tools as they have felt like overkill for stage making. I'll check it out, and try and simplify the wall components to see if this gives me a wee bit more control.

Cheers for the advice 🙂

Hey, don’t be afraid of those tools...whatever it takes to get the job done, right?? 😉

I am happy to take a look at your file, if you wish to resolve your issue. You could just copy and paste that solid subtraction into a blank file.  I don’t need the entire file, and post it here.  Be mindful I am using VW 2020.

• Like 1

Hey, don’t be afraid of those tools...whatever it takes to get the job done, right?? 😉

I am happy to take a look at your file, if you wish to resolve your issue. You could just copy and paste that solid subtraction into a blank file.  I don’t need the entire file, and post it here.  Be mindfu

On 12/3/2020 at 5:23 AM, Helm said:

Actually I don't see much there that I care about.  I suggest you go out of the office and talk to some architects to understand how they are really using VW or other CAD drafting and design tools.  And most important how they are interacting with their consultants.  For example most or really all of our consultants just want a dwg set of our plans they don't care about models or IFC.  Some are into Revit, I don't see mention of it.  The current Revit export produces an embarrassing result with walls missing and not much of a relation to all the work we have done on the model.  And it takes forever to produce.  I have grown fond of Enscape, and I don't see mention of it.  We are not doing movie quality rendering so why Epic, or Redshift.  How about suspending work on any new features and spend the next six months or year just fixing the ones you already have.  Architects work in the real world, 3D modeling tools (not BIM) are fun but that is about it.  Right now we can't even make a clean hidden line view from our building model of an elevation without a bunch of extra lines we have to cover up.  

You want to have some fun, design a multi story apartment building with apartment units that repeat in various configurations on each floor.  Then tell me an easy way to do it.  There are ways but none are perfect or simple.   We use referenced viewports, but I can't turn on the interior walls and make a section or elevation viewport because VW gets hung.   Charts and worksheets are often best made with Excel the new import feature is great but it is not interactive and the imported worksheet is does not support all of the Excel features.